|Back to the province of Arezzo
Copyright © Silvio.email@example.com
Montevarchi (ZIP code 52025) is 38,9 kilometers far from Arezzo, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.
Montevarchi has a population of 22.074 inhabitants (Montevarchini) and a surface of 56,75 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 388,97 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 144 metres above the sea level.
The City Hall is located in Piazza Varchi 5, phone ++39 055 - 91081, fax ++39 055 - 982851: the E-Mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Population: The municipality of Montevarchi had a popolation of 21.710 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 22.074 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of 1,68% inhabitants.
The inhabitants are distributed in 8.375 families with an average of 2,64 people per family.
The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 138 and 809 metres above sea level.
The altimetric spawn is thus of 671 metres.
Work and workers:There are 683 industrial firms employing 3.949 people that are the 44,62% of the total of the workers. There are 547 service firms employing 1.610 people that are the 18,19% of the total of the workers. There are also 568 firms employing 1.948 people that are the 22,01% of the total of the workers. There are also 119 administrative offices emplying 1.344 workers that are the 15,18% of the total of the workers.
There is a total of 8.851 workers, that are the 40,10% of the inhabitants of the municipality.
Montevarchi rises along a large valley where the Arno river flows.
The economy of the town is mainly active in the agricultural, trading and industrial fields. Remarkable is also the manufacture of leather and the floriculture.
The place name comes from a comprising name of Monte (mountain) and Varco that literally means pass, probably referring to the place of the town along the boundary of the territories of Arezzo and Fiesole.
It is supposed that the first settlements in the area of Montevarchi go back to the Roman Age, but the town really developed during XIII century around a castle built in a strategic position and dominating the main trading ways. This castle first belonged to the Bourbon family of Monte and then it passed to the Guidi Counts.
Montevarchi was the scene of bloody struggles between the powerful cities of Arezzo and Florence up to 1254 when the Guidi Counts sold the castle and some surrounding lands to Florence.
In 1384 Montevarchi was definitely added to the properties of the Florentine Republic that made Montevarchi an important militar stronghold. During the Florentine domination Montevarchi experienced a great economic development also leaded by the consolidation of the trading activities.
During the sixteenth century were born in Montevarchi the first artisan workshops for the manufacture of the wool and since the end of the eighteenth century, under the Medici's Grand Dukedom, those workshops transformed into little industrial factories.
During the Medici's domination there was an important urban upgrading of Montevarchi by restoring the road conditions and building of public buildings and luxurious residential houses.
At the end of the eighteenth century the Dukes of Lorena family came to power, whose domination lasted up to the beginning of XIX century when all territory of Montevarchi was invaded by the French army leaded by Napoleone Bonaparte.
In 1861 Montevarchi was annexed to the Reign of Italy by the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.
Among the most important monuments to see in Montevarchi we point out here the Collegiata di San Lorenzo (Saint Lorenz Collegiate Church), the Convento di San Lodovico (Saint Lodovico's Convent), the Chiesa del Giglio (Church of the Lily), the Museo d'arte Sacra (Museum of Holy Art) and the Museo Paleontologico (Paleontological Museum).
Amon famous people who were born in Montevarchi we remind here the famous sculptor Francesco Mochi (1580-1654).