Back to the province of Arezzo

Sansepolcro

Copyright © Wikipedia
Veduta di Sansepolcro

Sansepolcro (ZIP code 52037) is 38,7 kilometers far from Arezzo, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.

Sansepolcro has a population of 15.693 inhabitants (Borghesi o Biturgensi) and a surface of 91,45 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 171,60 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 330 metres above the sea level.

The City Hall is located in Via Matteotti 1, phone ++39 0575 - 7321, fax ++39 0575 - 732263: the E-Mail address is urp@sansepolcro.net.

Population: The municipality of Sansepolcro had a popolation of 15.695 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 15.693 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of -0,01% inhabitants.

The inhabitants are distributed in 6.083 families with an average of 2,58 people per family.

The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 295 and 1.384 metres above sea level.

The altimetric spawn is thus of 1.089 metres.

Work and workers:There are 394 industrial firms employing 2.616 people that are the 39,91% of the total of the workers. There are 477 service firms employing 1.233 people that are the 18,81% of the total of the workers. There are also 468 firms employing 1.814 people that are the 27,67% of the total of the workers. There are also 125 administrative offices emplying 892 workers that are the 13,61% of the total of the workers.

Copyright © Wikipedia
Porta Fiorentina

There is a total of 6.555 workers, that are the 41,77% of the inhabitants of the municipality.

Sansepolcro rises along the area extending from the left bank of the Tevere river to the Alps of Luna.

The local economy is mainly based on the food industries and the confectionary industries and on the artisan manufacture of gold, wood and earthenware.

According to the tradition, the village of Sansepolcro was founded during the end of the X-th century around an oratory founded by two pilgrims who were returned from the Palestine. They placed there some relics coming from the Christ’s Sepulchre. From then the village took its actual name.

During the two following centuries Sansepolcro was first under the jurisdiction of the Benedictine monks, who founded an abbey in 1012, and then it passed to the Camaldolesi’s family.

In the first years of the XIII-th century Sansepolcro became property of the city of Arezzo that granted to the town a certain autonomy.

Copyright © Wikipedia
San Bartolomeo

In 1318 the village was under the Tarlati’s Lordship until 1335, when Sansepolcro was conquered by the city of Perugia and thus annexed to the Perugia’s domains.

Since the end of the XIV-th century different lordships took turns to the power of Sansepolcro up to 1441 when the town entered definitely the Florentine Republic.

In 1515 Sansepolcro was elevated to the rank of Bishopric by the Pope Leone X.

During the Florentine domination Sansepolcro got a great economic importance, thanks both to the development of agricultural and manufacturing activities and to its strategic position along the boundary between the Papal State and the town of Montefeltro.

During the XVII-th century Sansepolcro subdued a grave epidemic of plague that decreased heavily the population.

Owing to the coming of the Lorena’s Dukes to the power Sansepolcro raised again thanks to the Lorena’s interventions about the reclamation of the territory that thus promoted the repopulation of the town.

The Lorena’s domination was interrupted by the French invasion occurred on the first decade of the XIX-th century and lasted up to 1814, when owing to the Treaty of Vienna, Sansepolcro entered the Tuscan Grand Dukedom.

Copyright © Wikipedia
Monte Casale

In 1861 Sansepolcro was annexed to the Reign of Italy by the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.

Among the most interesting monuments to see in Sansepolcro we point out here the Duomo (Cathedral), the Chiesa di San Francesco (Saint Francis Church), the Chiesa di Santa Maria delle Grazie (Saint Mary of the Graces Church), the Chiesa di San Rocco (Saint Rocco Church), the Chiesa di Sant’Agostino (Saint Augustine Church), the Palazzo Pichi (Pichi Palace), the Palazzo Giovagnoli (Giovagnoli Palace), the Palazzo Rigi (Rigi Palace), the Piero della Francesca’s house and the Civic Museum that saves the most famous artworks by Piero della Francesca.

Among the famous people who were born in Sansepolcro we remid here the famous painter Piero della Francesca (1416-1492).

Among the several celebrations periodically taking place in Sansepolcro we point out here the traditional "Palio della Balestra" (Crossbow Tournament) held yearly on the second Sunday of September by a tournament of throwing by a crossbow in Medieval costumes.