Back to the province of Arezzo

Subbiano

Photo © Municipality of Subbiano
Subbiano

Subbiano (ZIP code 52010) is 14,6 kilometers far from Arezzo, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.

Subbiano has a population of 5.485 inhabitants (Subbianesi) and a surface of 78,25 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 70,10 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 266 metres above the sea level.

The City Hall is located in Via Verdi 9, phone ++39 0575 - 421711, fax ++39 0575 - 421742: the E-Mail address is urp@comune.subbiano.ar.it.

Population: The municipality of Subbiano had a popolation of 4.442 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 5.485 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of 23,48% inhabitants.

The inhabitants are distributed in 2.065 families with an average of 2,66 people per family.

The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 230 and 1.414 metres above sea level.

The altimetric spawn is thus of 1.184 metres.

Photo © Municipality of Subbiano
Subbiano

Work and workers:There are 179 industrial firms employing 957 people that are the 57,62% of the total of the workers. There are 100 service firms employing 266 people that are the 16,01% of the total of the workers. There are also 105 firms employing 329 people that are the 19,81% of the total of the workers. There are also 38 administrative offices emplying 109 workers that are the 6,56% of the total of the workers.

There is a total of 1.661 workers, that are the 30,28% of the inhabitants of the municipality.

Subbiano rises in the Casentino area, along the left bank of the Arno river.

The local economy is mainly based on the production of cereals, olives, vegetables, fruits and on the activity of numerous industries working in the mechanical, making shoes and clothes fields.

The place name probably comes from the Latin proper name of person "Sibiano", to which the suffix "-anus" was added to indicate "belonging".

The first historical data referring to the village of Subbiano go back to the XII-th century, when it was under the jurisdiction of Albertino, belonging this latter to the Albertini's family of Chitigiano, who owned a part of the territory of Subbiano.

During the next century a part of the property of the castle was gave by the German emperor Federico II to the Guidi's Counts, who held the control for a century.

Photo © Municipality of Subbiano
Chiesa di Subbiano

Later the property of the Guidi's Counts passed to the Bishop of Arezzo, Guido Tarlati. The family of this latter dominated for a long the territory of Subbiano since when Pier Saccone Tarlati sold the village to the Republic of Florence.

In 1343 the inhabitants of Subbiano rebelled against the Florentine power getting a dit degree of autonomy. Entered temporarly the orbit of Arezzo, in the middle of the XVI-th century the village was annexed again to the domains of the Republic of Florence.

By coming the Medici's Grand Dukes to the power started for Subbiano a period of political stability and artistic and economic flourishing. The Medici's Grand Dukes started the building of elegant palaces as well very fashionable villas that are still visible today.

At the beginning of the XVIII-th century, by passing the power to the Lorena's Dukes, the first works for the restoration of the territory were started, thus promoting the development of a rural economy.

Photo © Municipality of Subbiano
Il Castello di Subbiano

At the beginning of the XIX-th century the Lorena's domination was interrupted by the invasion of the territory operated by the French army leaded by Napoleone Bonaparte who stayed on until 1814, when Subbiano entered the Tuscan Grand Dukedom.

In 1861 Subbiano was annexed to the Reign of Italy by the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.

Among the most important monuments to see in Subbiano we point out here the Chiesa di Santa Maria della Visitazione (Saint Mary of the Visitation Church), the Palazzo Subbiani-Ducci (Subbiani-Ducci's Palace) and the Castello (Castle).

Among te numerous celebrations periodically taking place in Subbiano we remind the "Grape Feast" held yearly on September and consisting of an exhibit of fine local food and artisan objects and a parade in costumes evoking ancient uses and way of living.