|Back to the province of Arezzo
Talla (ZIP code 52010) is 22,4 kilometers far from Arezzo, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.
Talla has a population of 1.177 inhabitants (Tallesi) and a surface of 60,05 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 19,60 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 348 metres above the sea level.
The City Hall is located in Via G. Verdi 21, phone ++39 0575 - 597512, fax ++39 0575 - 597693: the E-Mail address is email@example.com.
Population: The municipality of Talla had a popolation of 1.237 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 1.177 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of -4,85% inhabitants.
The inhabitants are distributed in 506 families with an average of 2,33 people per family.
The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 314 and 1.430 metres above sea level.
The altimetric spawn is thus of 1.116 metres.
Work and workers:There are 26 industrial firms employing 64 people that are the 32,82% of the total of the workers. There are 19 service firms employing 32 people that are the 16,41% of the total of the workers. There are also 33 firms employing 74 people that are the 37,95% of the total of the workers. There are also 16 administrative offices emplying 25 workers that are the 12,82% of the total of the workers.
There is a total of 195 workers, that are the 16,57% of the inhabitants of the municipality.
Talla rises along the high basin of the Salutio torrent.
The local economy is mainly based on the production of wheat, grape, olive and on the activity of numerous industries working for the production of shoes.
The place name probably comes from the ancient Etruscan proper name of person "Talla", equivalent to the Latin "Tallius".
The first settlements in the territory of Talla go back to the Etruscan Age, as testified by the numerous archaeological finds of sepulchres and funerary dowry came to light and dating back to that time.
The first historical data about the existence of Talla go back to the middle of the XI-th century. At that time the village was already well fortified around a castle and it was under the jurisdiction of Ugo del Grifo.
During the next centuries some powerful feudal families settle down the territory, among them the Ubertini's family of Chitignano who governed up to the beginning of the XIX-th century, being succeeded by the Tarlati's family.
At that time the Tarlati also dominated the city of Arezzo, with the Bishop Guido Tarlati. By dieing this latter the property of the village of Talla came back again to the Ubertini.
At the end of the same century the Republic of Florence, according to its policy of territorial expansion, after having defeated the city of Arezzo, annexed Talla to its own domains adding the village to the Podestà's seat of Castel Focognano.
During the Florentine domination the village of Talla was governed first by the Medici's Grand Dukes and then by the Lorena's Dukes.
The Lorena's domination lasted up to the beginning of the XIX-th century, when the territory was invaded by the Napoleonic troops.
In 1808, during the French domination, Talla reached its autonomy, by being separated by Castel Focognano and elevated to the rank of autonomous common.
In 1814 Talla came back again to enter the Tuscan Grand Dukedom, under the Lorena's Dukes again, and in 1861 the town was annexed to the Reign of Italy by the action of the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.
Among the most important monuments to see in Talla we point out here the Chiesa di San Niccolò (Saint Nicholas Church) and the Badia della Santissima Trinità (Holiest Trinity Abbey).
Among famous people who were born in Talla we remind the Benedictine monk Guido Monaco (990-1050), who invented the actual musical annotation system.
Among the numerous celebrations periodically taking place in Talla we point out the traditional "Chestnuts Festival" held yearly on November and during which it is possible to taste the fine typical local courses made by chestnuts, accompanied by the good new local wine.