|Back to the province of Arezzo
Terranuova Bracciolini (ZIP code 52028) is 36,1 kilometers far from Arezzo, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.
Terranuova Bracciolini has a population of 11.184 inhabitants (Terranuovesi) and a surface of 85,37 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 131,01 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 156 metres above the sea level.
The City Hall is located in Piazza della Repubblica 16, phone ++39 055 - 919471, fax ++39 055 - 9199656: the E-Mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Population: The municipality of Terranuova Bracciolini had a popolation of 10.392 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 11.184 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of 7,62% inhabitants.
The inhabitants are distributed in 4.073 families with an average of 2,75 people per family.
The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 130 and 318 metres above sea level.
The altimetric spawn is thus of 188 metres.
Work and workers:There are 492 industrial firms employing 3.810 people that are the 69,32% of the total of the workers. There are 232 service firms employing 576 people that are the 10,48% of the total of the workers. There are also 247 firms employing 845 people that are the 15,37% of the total of the workers. There are also 72 administrative offices emplying 265 workers that are the 4,82% of the total of the workers.
There is a total of 5.496 workers, that are the 49,14% of the inhabitants of the municipality.
Terranuova Bracciolini rises along the plain area placed along the right bank of the Arno river.
The local economy is mainly based on the agriculture, the bovine breeding and the aviculture. There are also numerous mechanical, shoe making, textile and glass manufacturing industries.
The place name comes from the compound of "Terranuova", with reference to a "new settlement" and of the specification "Bracciolini" added in 1862 with reference to the humanist Poggio Bracciolini who was born in the town (1380-1549).
Along the Early Middle Ages the territory of Terranuova Bracciolini was under the jurisdiction of the Umbertini's family, who built a castle.
At the beginning of the XIII-th century the village was invaded by the Florentine troops who destroyed the castle and annexed the village to the domains of the Florentine Republic.
The new foundation of the village occurred in the first years of the XIV-th century by the Republic of Florence that built a so called "walled land", a typical Medieval fortified building.
The building of the village occurred on a design of the architect Arnolfo di Cambio, who made a rectangular urban plant according two main roads, to whose ends four gates were built.
Terranuova Bracciolini became an important military stronghold of the Republic of Florence, that so got to control the whole Valdarno area.
Once entered the Florentine orbit Terranuova Bracciolini shared its chances and history, being first under the jurisdiction of the Medici's Grand Dukes and, in the XVIII-th century, by dieing the last Medici's descendant, the village passed to the Lorena's Dukes.
At the beginning of the XIX-th century Terranuova Bracciolini subdued the invasion of the French army leaded by Napoleone Bonaparte who stayed on until 1814.
From 1815 Terranuova Bracciolini was assigned to the Tuscan Grand Dukedom under the Lorena's Dukes, who governed the village up to the Unity of Italy occurred on 1861 by the action of the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.
Among the most important monuments to see in Terranuova Bracciolini we point out here the Chiesa di San Donato (Saint Donato Church), the Arcipretura di Santa Maria (Saint Mary Archpriesthood) and the Chiesa di San Biagio ai Mori (Saint Biagio at Moors Church).
Among famous people who were born in Terranuova Bracciolini we remind here the humanist Poggio Bracciolini (1380-1549).
Among the numerous celebrations periodically taking place in Terranuova Bracciolini we point out the International exhibit of typical food coming from the Valdarno and the valleys of Arezzo called "Earth and Table" held yearly on September.