|Back to the province of Firenze
Barberino di Mugello
Barberino di Mugello (ZIP code 50031) is 40,1 kilometers far from Firenze, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.
Barberino di Mugello has a population of 9.515 inhabitants (Barberinesi) and a surface of 133,64 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 71,20 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 270 metres above the sea level.
The City Hall is located in Viale della Repubblica 18, phone ++39 055 - 84771, fax ++39 055 - 8477299: the E-Mail address is email@example.com.
Population: The municipality of Barberino di Mugello had a popolation of 8.739 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 9.515 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of 8,88% inhabitants.
The inhabitants are distributed in 3.599 families with an average of 2,64 people per family.
The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 73 and 398 metres above sea level.
The altimetric spawn is thus of 325 metres.
Work and workers:There are 337 industrial firms employing 1.954 people that are the 55,34% of the total of the workers. There are 218 service firms employing 500 people that are the 14,16% of the total of the workers. There are also 225 firms employing 781 people that are the 22,12% of the total of the workers. There are also 60 administrative offices emplying 296 workers that are the 8,38% of the total of the workers.
There is a total of 3.531 workers, that are the 37,11% of the inhabitants of the municipality.
Barberino di Mugello rises in the valley of the Stura river.
The local economy is mainly based on agricultural activities and on the breeding of bovines. There are also numerous industries in the textile, mechanical and clothing fields.
The etymology of the place name is unknown but it is supposed that it comes from the ancient name of person "Barbarus" and from the specification "Mugello" with reference to the area where the place rises.
The village of Barberino di Mugello developed during the XI-th century around a castle previously erected by the Lords Cattani of Combiate.
In 1315 the powerful city of Florence extended its own influence to the Stura valley, buying the rights on the castle and on the whole village of Barberino di Mugello from the Cattani.
In 1351 the castel of Barberino di Mugello passed to the jurisdiction of Giovanni Visconti, archbishop of Milan.
In the next years Barberino di Mugello subdued numerous sacks, first by the Florentines and then, in 1364, by the Pisans.
Since the XIV-th century Barberino di Mugello became a domain of the Florentine Republic and it was under the Grand Dukes Medici's control, who made numerous noble building erected, like the Praetorian Palace that once was the Podestà's seat.
At the beginning of the XVIII-th century Barberino di Mugello passed as heritance to the Lorena's Dukes, who started great works for the reclamation of the territory thus promoting the economic and population increase of the village.
The period of the Lorena's domination lasted up to the Unity of Italy, with a decennial interruption because of the French occupation.
In 1861 Barberino di Mugello was annexed to the Reign of Italy by the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.
Among the most important monuments to see in Barberino di Mugello we point out here the Parrocchiale di San Silvestro (Saint Sylvester Parish), the Oratorio dei Santi Sebastiano e Rocco (Saints Sebastian and Rocco Oratory), the Palazzo Pretorio (Praetorian Palace) and the Castello dei Cattani (Cattani's Castle).
Among the several celebrations periodically taking place in Barberino di Mugello we remind here the "Cantamaggio" held yearly on May with popular songs and ballads.