|Back to the province of Firenze
Borgo San Lorenzo
Borgo San Lorenzo (ZIP code 50032) is 30,4 kilometers far from Firenze, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.
Borgo San Lorenzo has a population of 15.779 inhabitants (Borghigiani) and a surface of 146,1 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 108,00 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 193 metres above the sea level.
The City Hall is located in Piazza Dante 2, phone ++39 055 - 849661, fax ++39 055 - 8456782: the E-Mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Population: The municipality of Borgo San Lorenzo had a popolation of 15.285 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 15.779 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of 3,23% inhabitants.
The inhabitants are distributed in 6.012 families with an average of 2,62 people per family.
The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 177 and 1.144 metres above sea level.
The altimetric spawn is thus of 967 metres.
Work and workers:There are 333 industrial firms employing 1.606 people that are the 34,15% of the total of the workers. There are 321 service firms employing 844 people that are the 17,95% of the total of the workers. There are also 405 firms employing 1.388 people that are the 29,51% of the total of the workers. There are also 90 administrative offices emplying 865 workers that are the 18,39% of the total of the workers.
There is a total of 4.703 workers, that are the 29,81% of the inhabitants of the municipality.
Borgo San Lorenzo rises along the left bank of the Sieve river.
The economy of the town is active in the agricultural and industrial fields but it is also flourishing the craftsmanship of artistic pottery.
The first community of Borgo San Lorenzo formed during the Roman Age and so the Romans called the town "Anneianum".
After the collpase of the Roman Empire the town developed nearby a parish entitled to Saint Lorenz and the town took the name from that parish. A parish, whose name come from the Latin word "plebem" that literally means population, refers to the country people who gather around a church.
During XIII-th century Borgo San Lorenzo subdued the conflicts started between the Guelphs, Papacy's supporters, and the Ghibellines, Empire's supporters. At the end of that century Borgo San Lorenzo entered the Florentine Republic and shared its history with it up to come to power of the Dukes of Lorena family.
In the half of XIV century Florence strove to build a fortified ring of walls alternated by four city gates, two of those are still visible, the Porta Fiorentina (Florentine Gate) and the Porta dell'Orologio (Gate of the Watch).
In 1440 Borgo San Lorenzo subdued the siege by the army leaded by the captain of mercenaries Niccolò Piccinino that ended by chasing away the enemy and in 1527 the town also resisted against the French army.
During the second half of eighteenth century Borgo San Lorenzo entered the Dukedom of Lorena family, who started a great series of works for the reclamation of the territory and the restoring of the urban order. Those interventations promoted a great economic and population growing and Borgo San Lorenzo increased its importance.
In 1861 Borgo San Lorenzo was added to the Reign of Italy by the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.
Among the most interesting monuments to see in Borgo San Lorenzo we point out here the Pieve di San Lorenzo (Saint Lorenz Parish), the Oratorio di Sant'Omobono (Saint Omobono Oratory), the Santuario del Santissimo Crocifisso dei Miracoli (Holiest Crucifix of Miracles Sanctuary), the Porta Fiorentina (Florentine Gate) and the Porta dell'Orologio (Gate of the Watch).
Among the several celebrations taking place periodically in Borgo San Lorenzo we point out the traditional Carnival held on the three Sundays of the carnival period and that consists of a parade of allegorical carts and people in carnival costumes.