|Back to the province of Firenze
Photo © Municipality of Campi Bisanzio
Campi Bisenzio (ZIP code 50013) is 14,1 kilometers far from Firenze, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.
Campi Bisenzio has a population of 37.161 inhabitants (Campigiani) and a surface of 28,62 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 1.298,43 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 38 metres above the sea level.
The City Hall is located in Piazza Dante 36, phone ++39 055 - 89591, fax ++39 055 - 891965: the E-Mail address is email@example.com.
Population: The municipality of Campi Bisenzio had a popolation of 34.444 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 37.161 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of 7,89% inhabitants.
The inhabitants are distributed in 13.230 families with an average of 2,81 people per family.
The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 27 and 56 metres above sea level.
The altimetric spawn is thus of 29 metres.
Work and workers:There are 1.327 industrial firms employing 7.517 people that are the 47,21% of the total of the workers. There are 909 service firms employing 3.393 people that are the 21,31% of the total of the workers. There are also 851 firms employing 4.386 people that are the 27,54% of the total of the workers. There are also 123 administrative offices emplying 628 workers that are the 3,94% of the total of the workers.
There is a total of 15.924 workers, that are the 42,85% of the inhabitants of the municipality.
Campi Bisenzio rises along the valley included between Florence and Prato. Its territory is crossed by the Bisenzio, Arno, Ombrone and Marina rivers.
The economy of the town is mainly based on tourism thanks also to the several and well equipped accomodation facilities. Considerable is also the industrial production in textile, metallurgic, pharmaceutic, chemical, glass and pottery fields.
According to the tradition the first ihabitants of the town were the Ligurians. In the Roman Age occurred the settlement of the urban plan, that is still visible in the alignment of the roads along the north-south and east-west directions according to the typical plant of the Roman Castrum.
The place name comes from a compound name: "Campi" that refers to the rural allotment of the territory and "Bisenzio" referring to the rivers that pass through the town.
Since 1000 started to form the first urban settlements along the banks of the Bisenzio river. The Bisenzio river was the main resource of the town and was used to make the first mills working, even if it was also the main cause of continuous floods that contribute to the increase of the marsh phenomenon.
Photo © Municipality of Campi Bisenzio
During VIII-th century Campi Bisenzio became a feudal property of the influential German Mazzinghi family, whose domination lasted a long time. They built a fortress in the territory of Campi Bisenzio.
According to some historical data, during the thirteenth century, Campi Bisenzio was the territory where the conflict between Guelphs, Empire's supporters, and Ghibellines, Papacy's supporters, flared up for the first time because of a quarrel between two families belonging to the two opposite factions.
During all the fourteenth century Campi Bisenzio subdued the consequences of the continuous raids by the Ghibellines and finally the town was destroyed in 1260 in the Montaperti battle. After the defeat of the Montaperti battle the Mazzinghi family left Campi Bisenzio.
In 1295 the Strozzi family bought a large part of the territory of Campi Bisenzio that later passed to the Ruccellai family.
In 1364 Campi Bisenzio subdued the heavy consequences of the conflict between the cities of Florence and Pisa. Campi Bisenzio, destroyed in that battle, entered the Florentine Republic that rebuilt and fortified it, keeping the control on the town up to the end of the forteenth century.
During the Florentine domination, with Cosimo I of Medici started for Campi Bisenzio a period of economic growing. Cosimo I of Medici started the first works for the reclamation of the territory and the improvement of the road conditions.
Under the Medici's domination were also resumed the agricultural activities taking care of the cultivation of the wheat and mulberry and the improvement of the first artisan manufacture of straw and whool.
During seventeenth century Campi Bisenzio suffered several floods coming from the Bisenzio river that caused an epidemic of plague and thus the beginning of an economic and population decline. That period ended only in the eighteenth century when the Lorena family came to power and started an intensive restoring of the territory.
In 1744 Campi Bisenzio became a common by including of the two communities of Signa and Lecore.
In the first years of the nineteenth century, with the Napoleonic invasion, Campi Bisenzio was subdued to the Imperial laws up to 1814. After the French domination the town experienced a great economic growing and in 1861, when it was added to the Reign of Italy, the inhabitants of Campi Bisenzio were already more than nine thousand.
Among the most interesting monuments to see in Campi Bisenzio we point out here the Pieve di Santo Stefano (Saint Stefano Parish), the Chiesa di Santa Maria (Saint Mary Church), the Chiesa di San Martino (Saint Martin Church), the Palazzo Comunale (Municipal Palace), the Teatro Dante (Dante Theatre), the Villa Rucellai (Ruccellai Villa), the Villa Montalvo (Montalvo Villa) and the Rocca degli Strozzi (Strozzi's Fortress).