|Back to the province of Firenze
Castelfiorentino (ZIP code 50051) is 47,8 kilometers far from Firenze, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.
Castelfiorentino has a population of 17.006 inhabitants (Castellani) and a surface of 66,56 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 255,50 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 50 metres above the sea level.
The City Hall is located in Piazza del Popolo 1, phone ++39 0571 - 6861, fax ++39 0571 - 629355: the E-Mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Population: The municipality of Castelfiorentino had a popolation of 17.155 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 17.006 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of -0,87% inhabitants.
The inhabitants are distributed in 6.238 families with an average of 2,73 people per family.
The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 34 and 184 metres above sea level.
The altimetric spawn is thus of 150 metres.
Work and workers:There are 517 industrial firms employing 2.509 people that are the 45,82% of the total of the workers. There are 376 service firms employing 970 people that are the 17,71% of the total of the workers. There are also 392 firms employing 1.337 people that are the 24,42% of the total of the workers. There are also 73 administrative offices emplying 660 workers that are the 12,05% of the total of the workers.
There is a total of 5.476 workers, that are the 32,20% of the inhabitants of the municipality.
Castelfiorentino rises along the right bank of the Elsa river.
The local economy is based on the agriculture and especially on the production of wine, beet, olives and fruits. Several industries are present in Castelfiorentino, like the food, mechanical, shoe and furniture industries.
The place name comes from a compuond name of "Castello" (castle) and the specification "Fiorentino" (Florentine) that, in XII-th century, was added to its name when the town became a Florentine possession. Before XII-th century the town was known as "Castel Timignano". Its actual name was quoted in an official document dating back to 1149.
The first settlements in the area of Castelfiorentino go back to the Roman Age: the Romans built a residential settlement along the so called "Via Francigena", naming it Timignano.
During the Middle Ages the village of Castelfiorentino thus was built on the remains of an ancient Roman settlement and it was first a feudal property of the Cadolingi's Counts and then of the Alberti's Counts.
In the XII-th century Castelfiorentino was bought by the Bishop of Florence and in 1149 the town took its actual name.
After the Montaperti Battle, occurred on 1260, a Peace Treaty between the two rival cities of Siena and Florence was signed in Castelfiorentino.
The period of the Florentine domination was the most important politically and economically one in the history of Castelfiorentino.
The town was circled by an imposing ring of walls having five entrance gates.
During the XVI-th century the territory of Castelfiorentino was the theatre of several struggles that caused its devastation: in 1521 the village also subdued a Spanish siege.
Then Castelfiorentino lost its strategic importance and thus started a period of decline lasted up to the beginning of the XVIII-th century.
The coming of the Lorena's Dukes rose the sorts of Castelfiorentino. The Lorena's policy aimed both to restore the village and to reclaim its territory, thus promoting the development of the agriculture.
Rose its economy, Castelfiorentino achieved an important political role, also extending its jurisdiction to the close towns of Certaldo and Montaione.
In 1861 Castelfiorentino was annexed to the Reign of Italy by the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.
Among the most interesting monuments to see in Castelfiorentino we point out here the Chiesa di Santa Verdiana (Saint Verdiana Church), the Collegiata dei Santi Lorenzo e Leonardo (Saints Lorenz and Leonard Collegiate Church), the Chiesa dei Santi Ippolito e Biagio (Saints Ippolito and Biagio Church), the Palazzo dell'Arciconfraternita della Misericordia (Arhconfraternity of the Misericordy's Palace), the Teatro del Popolo (People's Theatre) and the Biblioteca Vallesiana (Vallesiana Library).
Among the several celebrations periodically taking place in Castelfiorentino we remind here the "Saint Verdiana's Feast" held yearly on February 1st and on the next Monday after the Whitsunday.