|Back to the province of Firenze
Empoli (ZIP code 50053) is 29,9 kilometers far from Firenze, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.
Empoli has a population of 44.012 inhabitants (Empolesi) and a surface of 62,28 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 706,68 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 28 metres above the sea level.
The City Hall is located in Via Cavour 79, phone ++39 0571 - 7571, fax ++39 0571 - 757715: the E-Mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Population: The municipality of Empoli had a popolation of 43.522 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 44.012 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of 1,13% inhabitants.
The inhabitants are distributed in 16.501 families with an average of 2,67 people per family.
The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 18 and 206 metres above sea level.
The altimetric spawn is thus of 188 metres.
Work and workers:There are 1.275 industrial firms employing 5.186 people that are the 30,98% of the total of the workers. There are 1.324 service firms employing 3.534 people that are the 21,11% of the total of the workers. There are also 1.419 firms employing 6.294 people that are the 37,60% of the total of the workers. There are also 152 administrative offices emplying 1.726 workers that are the 10,31% of the total of the workers.
There is a total of 16.740 workers, that are the 38,04% of the inhabitants of the municipality.
Empoli rises on the fertile plane placed on the left bank of the Arno river.
Empoli is one the mayor industrial centre in Tuscany with several factories in the food, mechanical, informatic and wooden areas. There are also several chemical, glass and tanner factories. Citizens carry out the cultivation of cereals, vegetables and fruits and the avicolture. One of the most typical products of Empoli is the artichoke that is a D.O.C. product (Denomination of Controlled Origin).
In the Etruscan Age the area of Empoli was already populated but the first urban settlements formed under Roman domination.
According to the official history the first urban settlements should go back to the third century A. C. whereas the tradition supposes that the Pieve of Sant'Andrea (Saint Andrew Church), a symbol of the city, was built around the fifth century A. C. and then developed the city of Empoli around that church.
In 1015 Empoli was under the Pisan domination. The city tried many times to rebel against Pisa and started a period of uncertainty in which took turns at feudal power the Counts Guidi of Pistoia and the Counts Alberti of Capraia.
The community of Empoli was officially born in the twelfth century by an act that stated the union of people from Empoli, Monterappoli and Pontormo. Therefore they erected a ring of walls in order to defend the city.
Empoli was an indipendent and autonomous city until 1182 when it was added to the Florentine domains and was compelled to make an oath of allegiance to Florence.
In the battle of Montaperti, occurred on 1260, the faction of Ghibellines achieved the control of Tuscany and tried to impose the distruction of Florence; this was averted thanks to the Farinata degli Uberti's opposition.
In 1529 Empoli was attacked by the Spanish Carlo V's army, supported by Pope Clemente VII, who conquered the city in 1530. Empoli lost the majority of its richness and resources: it was the beginning of a dark period.
In 1772 when the Lorena family gained the power, Empoli restarted slowly its economic increasing.
In 1774 Pietro Leopold annected to the city the two commons of Monterappoli and Pontorme thus making official the ancient composition of three populations.
Around 1800 started a period of economic, urban and population increasing. In that same period was built the first railway that improved the trading activities.
In 1860 Empoli was added to the Reign of Italy by the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.
Among the most interesting monuments to see in Empoli we point out the Collegiata di Sant'Andrea (Saint Andrew Church), the Chiesa di Santo Stefano (Saint Stefano Church), the Piazza Farinata degli Uberti (Farinata degli Uberti Square), the Palazzo Ghibellino (Ghibelline Palace), the Palazzo Pretorio (Praetorian Palace).
Among great personalities who were born in Empoli we remind here the writer Renato Fucini (1843-1921) and the painter Jacopo Carrucci called "the Pontormo" (1494-1556).