|Back to the province of Firenze
Figline Valdarno (ZIP code 50063) is 34,6 kilometers far from Firenze, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.
Figline Valdarno has a population of 16.282 inhabitants (Figlinesi) and a surface of 71,66 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 227,21 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 126 metres above the sea level.
The City Hall is located in Piazza IV Novembre 6, phone ++39 055 - 91251, fax ++39 055 - 953654: the E-Mail address is email@example.com.
Population: The municipality of Figline Valdarno had a popolation of 15.699 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 16.282 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of 3,71% inhabitants.
The inhabitants are distributed in 6.052 families with an average of 2,69 people per family.
The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 120 and 790 metres above sea level.
The altimetric spawn is thus of 670 metres.
Work and workers:There are 508 industrial firms employing 2.916 people that are the 44,61% of the total of the workers. There are 424 service firms employing 1.054 people that are the 16,13% of the total of the workers. There are also 394 firms employing 1.529 people that are the 23,39% of the total of the workers. There are also 94 administrative offices emplying 1.037 workers that are the 15,87% of the total of the workers.
There is a total of 6.536 workers, that are the 40,14% of the inhabitants of the municipality.
Figline Valdarno rises between the slopes of the Chianti hills and the left bank of the Arno river.
The local economy is mainly based on the industrial activities of clothing shoe products, craftsmanship and meat industries. Remarkable are also the famous Pirelli industry, the vine production and the breeding of bovine and ovine.
The place name comes from a compound name by the Latin word "figulina" with the meaning of "potter or argil mine" and the specification of "Valdarno" took in 1863 for the position of the town along the Arno river.
The first settlements in the area of Figline Valdarno go back to the Stone Age, as testified by the numerous finds came to light in the area.
During the Roman Age the village was already developed and it carried out several agricultural activities.
The real consolidation of the residential settlements in the area of Figline Valdarno started around the XI-th century by building a castle, that belonged to the Ubertiís family, and the first parishes whose neighbourhood the community of Figline Valdarno formed.
During the XIII-th century the village subdued the consequences of the conflicts raised between the two opposite factions of the Guelphs (Papacyís supporters) and the Ghibellines (Empireís supporters), and consequently the political events that leaded to the coming of the Ghibelline Ubertiniís family to the power. On that occasion Figline Valdarno sided with the Guelph towns.
In 1250 the city of Florence invaded the territory of Figline Valdarno and destroyed the castle.
Entered the Florentine orbit, Figline Valdarno was fortified in order to face up to the continuous attacks by the Ghibellines against the Florentine Republic and thus in 1356 Florence started the building of an imposing ring of walls and a urban plane consisting of three important roads that connected the town to the cities of Florence, Arezzo and Siena.
During the XV-th century the territory subdued a violent plague that heavily decreased the population: only at the end of XV-century the village started to repopulate.
In the next centuries, under the Mediciís domination, started to develop an economy based on the agriculture by cultivating wheat. Figline Valdarno got such an importance that was called "Florenceís barn".
At the beginning of the XVIII-th century Figline Valdarno passed to the Lorenaís Dukes, who started the reclamation of the territory and thus promoted the increasing of the agricultural activities that leaded to a great economic development.
At the beginning of the XIX-th century the territory of Figline Valdarno was invaded by the French army leaded by Napoleone Bonaparte who founded the Reign of Etruria and appointed Figline Valdarno as seat of the "Valdarnese Academy of Poggio" that saved a large collection of fossil finds came to light in that area.
In 1861 Figline Valdarno was annexed to the Reign of Italy by the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.
Among the most important monuments to see in Figline Valdarno we point out here the Collegiata di Santa Maria (Saint Mary Collegiate Church), the Chiesa di San Francesco (Saint Francis Church), the Chiesa di San Biagio (Saint Biagio Church) and the Palazzo Pretorio (Praetorian Palace).
Among the famous people who were born in Figline Valdarno we remind here the philosopher Marsilio Ficino (1433-1499).
Among several celebrations periodically taking place in Figline Valdarno we point out here the traditional "Palio di San Rocco" (Saint Rocco Horse Race) held yearly on the first Sunday in September. The celebration consists of a historic procession through the town and a horse race involving all the quarters of the town.