|Back to the province of Firenze
Firenzuola (ZIP code 50033) is 75 kilometers far from Firenze, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.
Firenzuola has a population of 4.809 inhabitants (Firenzuolini) and a surface of 271,69 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 17,70 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 422 metres above the sea level.
The City Hall is located in Piazza Don Stefano Casini 1, phone ++39 055 - 8199401, fax ++39 055 - 819366: the E-Mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Population: The municipality of Firenzuola had a popolation of 4.844 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 4.809 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of -0,72% inhabitants.
The inhabitants are distributed in 2.025 families with an average of 2,37 people per family.
The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 220 and 1.290 metres above sea level.
The altimetric spawn is thus of 1.070 metres.
Work and workers:There are 177 industrial firms employing 1.220 people that are the 57,90% of the total of the workers. There are 102 service firms employing 205 people that are the 9,73% of the total of the workers. There are also 128 firms employing 456 people that are the 21,64% of the total of the workers. There are also 49 administrative offices emplying 226 workers that are the 10,73% of the total of the workers.
There is a total of 2.107 workers, that are the 43,81% of the inhabitants of the municipality.
Firenzuola rises on a hill placed in the valley extending along the left bank of the Santerno river.
The local economy is mainly based on the production of cereals, fodders, aromatic herbs, on the cattle breeding, on the mining activity for the industrial production of methane gas and on the activity of numerous industries for the production of building materials and packaging envelops.
The place name "Firenzuola" means "little Florence".
The village of Firenzuola was founded in 1332 by the Florentines who aimed to defend the city of Florence by the coming of the Ubaldini's troops.
At that time a fortified fortress was built along the important road that joined Firenzuola to the city of Bologna and around the fortress the local community started to gather and built its houses, developing the first economic activities based on the "serene stone" mining and manufacturing activities (the serene stone is a particular sandstone usually used to pave the roads).
The building of the fortress was completed in 1410 and before its completion, the village subdued a siege by the Ubaldini's troops that caused numerous damages to the territory.
At the end of the XV-th century, already entered the orbit of the Republic of Florence that was governed by the Medici's Grand Dukes, the fortified building system including the fortress was restored for the will of Lorenzo de' Medici.
This latter gave the working direction to the architect Antonio da Sanagallo the Old, who made an imposing ring of walls equipped with some towers and strong gates so that the village became a real stronghold of the Republic of Florence.
The domination of the Medici's Grand Dukes lasted up to the beginning of the XVIII-th century, when the last direct Medician heir died. In 1736 the property of the village of Firenzuola passed to the Lorena's Dukes.
The Lorena's Dukes governed the territory of Firenzuola up to the next century when occurred the invasion of the Napoleonic troops, whose occupation ended on 1814.
Since 1815 Firenzuola was added again to the Tuscan Grand Dukedom, under the Lorena's government, until the Unity of Italy occurred on 1861 by the action of the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.
Among the most important monuments to see in Firenzuola we point out here the Parrocchiale di San Giovanni Battista (Saint John Baptist Parish), the "Museo della Pietra Serena" (Museum of the Serene Stone), the Rocca (Fortress) and the remains of the Medieval fortifications.
Among famous people who were born in Firenzuola we remind here the architect Antonio da Sangallo the Old (XV-th century) and the writer Agnolo Giovannini, named "the Firenzuola" (1493-1543).
Among the several celebrations periodically taking place in Firenzuola we point out the traditional "Show of the Craftsmanship" held yearly on July in the historic centre and in which it is possible to admire the fine objects of the local artisan production.