|Back to the province of Firenze
Gambassi Terme (ZIP code 50050) is 56,7 kilometers far from Firenze, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.
Gambassi Terme has a population of 4.697 inhabitants (Gambassini) and a surface of 82,99 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 56,60 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 332 metres above the sea level.
The City Hall is located in Via Garibaldi 7, phone ++39 0571 - 638224, fax ++39 0571 - 639791: the E-Mail address is email@example.com.
Population: The municipality of Gambassi Terme had a popolation of 4.215 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 4.697 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of 11,44% inhabitants.
The inhabitants are distributed in 1.687 families with an average of 2,78 people per family.
The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 52 and 620 metres above sea level.
The altimetric spawn is thus of 568 metres.
Work and workers:There are 193 industrial firms employing 1.448 people that are the 68,27% of the total of the workers. There are 67 service firms employing 135 people that are the 6,36% of the total of the workers. There are also 99 firms employing 285 people that are the 13,44% of the total of the workers. There are also 32 administrative offices emplying 253 workers that are the 11,93% of the total of the workers.
There is a total of 2.121 workers, that are the 45,16% of the inhabitants of the municipality.
Gambassi Terme rises along the valley of the Elsa river.
The local economy is mainly based on the production of cereals, grape nd olives and on the activity of numerous industries for food making, wood manufacturing and building materials producing. Also tourism is remarkable thanks to the presence of thermal springs and of numerous and fine hotels.
The place name probably comes from the compond of "campu" (field) and the proper name of person "Bassi" or from "campi" (fields) and "bassi" (low-lying lands). In 1977 the specification "Terme" (thermal baths) was added, for the exploitment of the local thermal baths.
The village of Gambassi Terme has ancient origins: it is supposed that it was already populated during the Neolitic Age.
The real foundation of Gambassi Terme occurred during the Etruscan and Roman Ages, when the first settlements were built close to important roads like the so called "Via Francigena".
An official act dating back to 1037 testifies the presence of a castle in Gambassi Terme and quotes about a donation act of some lands to the Bishopes of Volterra, who, during the century, also got the possession of the castle of Gambassi Terme, holding it up to the XII-th century.
At the end of the XII-th century a little "castrum" (fortified settlemen) rose close to the castle that later became a common with its own statutues.
During the next century Gambassi Terme subdued the consequences of the existing rivalries between the Bishops of Volterra and the close village of San Gimignano, wanting this latter to take the control of the village away from the Bishop.
The quarrels ended only in 1294 when the Republic of Florence conquered Gambassi Terme and annexed it to its countryside.
In 1322 Gambassi Terme became a Florentine Podestà's seat, increasing, along the same century its economy by starting some manufacturing glass activities.
At the beginning of the XV-th century the village entered the Medici's Grand Dukedom thanks to which numerous fine palaces were built and the first work for the reclamation of the territory was started, thus promoting a sensible development of the agriculture.
The period of the Medici's domination lasted up to the middle of the XVIII-th century, when Gambassi Terme passed for heritance to the Lorena's Dukes, who continued the reclamation started by their predecessors.
In 1861 Gambassi Terme was annexed to the Reign of Italy by the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.
Among the most important monuments to see in Gambassi Terme we point out here the Chiesa Parrocchiale (Parish Church), the Pieve di Santa Maria a Chianni (Saint Mary Parish in Chianni), the Parco Comunale (Municipal Park) and the Terme (Thermal Baths).
Among famous people who were born in Gambassi Terme we remind here the artist Giovanni Francesco Gonnelli (1737-1818) also known as the "Blind man of Gambassi".
Among the several celebrations periodically taking place in Gambassi Terme we point out here the "Show Market of typical foods and artisan products" held yearly on the last week of August, during which it is possible both to admire fine local crafts and to taste several good typical local foods.