|Back to the province of Firenze
Marradi (ZIP code 50034) is 61,9 kilometers far from Firenze, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.
Marradi has a population of 3.616 inhabitants (Marradesi) and a surface of 153,87 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 23,50 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 328 metres above the sea level.
The City Hall is located in Piazza Scalelle 1/A, phone ++39 055 - 8045005, fax ++39 055 - 8045803: the E-Mail address is email@example.com.
Population: The municipality of Marradi had a popolation of 3.895 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 3.616 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of -7,16% inhabitants.
The inhabitants are distributed in 1.499 families with an average of 2,41 people per family.
The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 230 and 1.241 metres above sea level.
The altimetric spawn is thus of 1.011 metres.
Work and workers:There are 89 industrial firms employing 429 people that are the 41,45% of the total of the workers. There are 52 service firms employing 111 people that are the 10,72% of the total of the workers. There are also 97 firms employing 312 people that are the 30,14% of the total of the workers. There are also 39 administrative offices emplying 183 workers that are the 17,68% of the total of the workers.
There is a total of 1.035 workers, that are the 28,62% of the inhabitants of the municipality.
Marradi rises along the right bank of the Lamone river.
The local economy is mainly based on the bovine and ovine breeding but there also many engineering and shoe making industries.
The etymology of the place name is doubtful: according to some people it comes from the Latin "marra" (a tool used to harrow land), this latter could come from the Latin "maratus" that means "something tilled by using the tool called 'marra'", whereas according to other ones it could come from "marra" with the meaning of "heap of rocks".
The territory of Marradi has been populated since the Etruscan Age, then the Romans succeeded and founded a "castrum" (settlement) in order to control the territory that represented an important link between the cities of Faenza and Florence.
The consolidation of the village of Marradi goes back to the XI-th century, when the whole territory was subdued to the jurisdiction of the Guidi Counts of Modigliana, who were supporters of the political faction of the Ghibellines (Empire's supporters).
The Guidi Counts dominated Marradi for two centuries till 1258, when their influence decreased by dieing the Emperor Federico II. Then the village of Marradi was gave to the city of Florence, that sided with the political faction of the Guelphs (Papacy's supporters).
After the Montaperti Battle, occurred on 1260, the Ghibellines won on the Guelphs and the Guidi Counts got again the control of the village of Marradi.
At the beginning of the XIV-th century Marradi was quarrelled between the Guidi Counts and the Manfredi Counts of Faenza, who in 1312 got to control Marradi.
Since 1428 Giovanni Manfredi put all his properties under the protection of the Republic of Florence and with this latter Marradi shared its historical and political chances.
From then started the domination of the Medici's Grand Dukes, who built the wonderful noble palaces and villas today still admirable.
During the Medici's domination, lasted up to the beginning of the XVIII-th century, Marradi became an important market that gathered and sold the products coming from the whole Romagna.
By coming the Lorena's Dukes to the power, Marradi increased its importance. The Dukes made the so called Teatro degli Animosi (Animosi's Theatre) built, whose design was carried out by the architect Giulio Mannaioni.
In 1800 the Lorena's domination was interrupted by the invasion of the French army leaded by Napoleone Bonaparte, who stayed on until 1814.
Since 1815 Marradi entered the domains of the Tuscan Grand Dukedom and it was part of this latter until 1861, when the town was added to the Reign of Italy by the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.
Among the most important monuments to see in Marradi we point put here the Chiesa di San Lorenzo (Saint Lorenz Church), the Chiesa del Suffragio (Suffrage Church), the Palazzo Fabbroni (Fabbroni Palace), the Palazzo Cannone (Cannone Palace) and the Teatro degli Animosi (Animosi's Theatre).
Among famous people who were born in Marradi we remind here the famous poet Dino Campana (1885-1932).
Among the numerous celebrations taking place in Marradi we point out the traditional "Chestnuts Festival" held yearly on every Sunday during the month of October. The festival offers the opportunity to taste some typical local fine foods.