|Back to the province of Firenze
Montaione (ZIP code 50050) is 57,9 kilometers far from Firenze, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.
Montaione has a population of 3.431 inhabitants (Montaionesi) and a surface of 104,92 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 32,70 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 342 metres above the sea level.
The City Hall is located in Piazza Municipio 1, phone ++39 0571 - 6991, fax ++39 0571 - 699256: the E-Mail address is email@example.com.
Population: The municipality of Montaione had a popolation of 3.390 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 3.431 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of 1,21% inhabitants.
The inhabitants are distributed in 1.256 families with an average of 2,73 people per family.
The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 50 and 550 metres above sea level.
The altimetric spawn is thus of 500 metres.
Work and workers:There are 128 industrial firms employing 577 people that are the 47,18% of the total of the workers. There are 76 service firms employing 163 people that are the 13,33% of the total of the workers. There are also 125 firms employing 351 people that are the 28,70% of the total of the workers. There are also 13 administrative offices emplying 132 workers that are the 10,79% of the total of the workers.
There is a total of 1.223 workers, that are the 35,65% of the inhabitants of the municipality.
Montaione rises in the high basin of the Egola torrent.
The local economy is mainly based on the production of cereals, olives and grapes and on the breeding of bovines. There are also numerous industries for shoe and clothing making and for the production of building materials.
The place name comes from a the word "mons" (mount) with the meaning of "high place".
The first settlements in the area of Montaione go back to the Etruscan and Roman Ages. In 572 B. C. Montaione entered to the domains of the Longbard Dukes of Lucca, among them there was a count called Aione, from who the place name might come.
At the beginning of the XII-th century was built the first parish, the actual Saint Regolo Church, whose around the community of Montaione gathered.
From the XII-th and XIII-th century the village of Montaione was under the influence of the town of San Miniato, against which Montaione rebelled in 1268, putting itself under the protection of the town of San Gimignano.
During the same period the community started the glass manufacture that became, in the next centuries, the main source of the local richness.
In 1369 the village joined the Republic of Florence in order to break the influence of San Miniato.
In the next years Montaione subdued the consequences of the conflicts existing between Florence and Pisa causing numerous devastations of its territory.
Only in the XIV-th century Montaione reached its political stability by coming the Filicaja's Counts to the power. They held the control of the village up to the beginning of the XIX-th century promoting during their domination the economic development both by using the first agricultural machines and by restoring the town.
In 1861 Montaione was annexed to the Reign of Italy by the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.
Among the most important monuments to see in Montaione we point out here the Chiesa di San Regolo (Saint Regolo Church), the Oratorio di San Biagio (Saint Biagio Oratory) and the Palazzo Pretorio (Praetorian Palace).
Among the several celebrations periodically taking place in Montaione we remind here the "Crafts Market" held yearly on Tuesdays of June, July, August and September from 5 p.m. to 12 p.m. during which it is possible both to admire the numerous fine artisan objects and to taste some good typical foods.