|Back to the province of Firenze
Montelupo Fiorentino (ZIP code 50056) is 24,3 kilometers far from Firenze, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.
Montelupo Fiorentino has a population of 11.212 inhabitants (Montelupini) and a surface of 24,6 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 455,77 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 35 metres above the sea level.
The City Hall is located in Viale Cento Fiori 34, phone ++39 0571 - 9174, fax ++39 0571 - 917528: the E-Mail address is email@example.com.
Population: The municipality of Montelupo Fiorentino had a popolation of 10.064 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 11.212 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of 11,41% inhabitants.
The inhabitants are distributed in 4.109 families with an average of 2,73 people per family.
The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 25 and 242 metres above sea level.
The altimetric spawn is thus of 217 metres.
Work and workers:There are 415 industrial firms employing 2.420 people that are the 54,74% of the total of the workers. There are 279 service firms employing 704 people that are the 15,92% of the total of the workers. There are also 223 firms employing 885 people that are the 20,02% of the total of the workers. There are also 63 administrative offices emplying 412 workers that are the 9,32% of the total of the workers.
There is a total of 4.421 workers, that are the 39,43% of the inhabitants of the municipality.
Montelupo Fiorentino rises in the lower area of the Valdarno, close to the confluence between the Arno river and the Pesa torrent.
The local economy is mainly based on the production of cereals, olives and especially on the vine production. There are also numerous chemical and shoe making industries and artisan factories for the production of earthenwares and majolicas.
The place name comes from the compound of "Monte" (mount), "lupo" (wolf) and the specification "Fiorentino" (Florentine), added in 1863.
The first settlements in the area of Montelupo Fiorentino go back to the Etruscan and Roman Ages, as the numerous archaeological finds came to light in the territory testify. Nevertheless the real consolidation of the residential settlements occurred during the Middle Ages under the jurisdiction of the Alberti Counts, who built an imposing castle in order to control the road joining the two cities of Florence and Pisa.
In 1203 Florence besieged the village of Montelupo Fiorentino, taking the Alberti's control away and destroying the fortifications.
Few years later the Florentines started to rebuild the castle and to fortify again the village by building a ring of walls.
In XIII-th century Montelupo Fiorentino became a Podestà's seat, getting an great importance in the whole area of the Valdarno.
During the XV-th century the Republic of Florence promoted the development of the artisan manufacture of the potter's clay, that, between 1450 and 1530, got its maximum splendour.
During the XVI-th century, because of spreading of plagues, started a decline phase of the artisan activities lasted up to the end of the next century.
At the beginning of the XVIII-th century, by coming the Lorena's Dukes to the power, Montelupo Fiorentino repopulated and started again its traditional artisan activities, also carrying out the manufacture of the glass.
The Lorena's policy mainly aimed to reclaim the territory, thus promoting the increasing of the agricultural activities. The period of the Lorena's domination was interrupted by the invasion of the French army leaded by Napoleone Bonaparte, who stayed in the territory up to 1814.
Since 1815 Montelupo Fiorentino was a part of the Tuscan Grand Dukedom until 1861, when the town was annexed to the Reign of Italy by the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.
Among the most important monuments to see in Montelupo Fiorentino we point out here the Pieve di San Giovanni Evangelista (Saint John Evangelist Parish), the Monastero di San Lorenzo (Saint Lorenz Convent), the Palazzo del Podestà (Podestà'a Palace) and the Museo Archeologico e della Ceramica (Museum of Archaeological finds and Potteries).
Among famous people who were born in Montelupo Fiorentino we remind here the sculptor and architect Bartolomeo Sinibaldi, named "Baccio da Montelupo" (1469-1535).
Among the numerous celebrations taking place in Montelupo Fiorentino we point out the "Show-market" of typical local foods held yearly on December 17th and 18th.