Back to the province of Firenze

Montespertoli

Copyright © Editori dell'Acero Chiesa San piero in Mercato

Montespertoli (ZIP code 50025) is 30,8 kilometers far from Firenze, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.

Montespertoli has a population of 11.354 inhabitants (Montespertolesi) and a surface of 125,04 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 90,80 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 257 metres above the sea level.

The City Hall is located in Piazza del Popolo 1, phone ++39 0571 - 6001, fax ++39 0571 - 609760: the E-Mail address is sindaco@comune.montespertoli.fi.it.

Population: The municipality of Montespertoli had a popolation of 9.432 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 11.354 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of 20,38% inhabitants.

The inhabitants are distributed in 4.216 families with an average of 2,69 people per family.

The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 53 and 422 metres above sea level.

The altimetric spawn is thus of 369 metres.

Work and workers:There are 436 industrial firms employing 2.136 people that are the 61,86% of the total of the workers. There are 253 service firms employing 587 people that are the 17,00% of the total of the workers. There are also 192 firms employing 520 people that are the 15,06% of the total of the workers. There are also 56 administrative offices emplying 210 workers that are the 6,08% of the total of the workers.

There is a total of 3.453 workers, that are the 30,41% of the inhabitants of the municipality.

Copyright © Editori dell'Acero Chiesa di Sant`Andrea

Montespertoli rises through the Pesa valley and the Elsa valley.

The local economy is mainly based on the production of vine grape, olives and on the activity of numerous chemical, dockyard, chothing and leather manufacturing industries.

The place name comes from the compound of "Monte" (mount) and of the German proper name of person "Sighipert", to which the suffix "-ulus" was added to indicate "belonging".

The first settlements in the area of Montespertoli go back to the Etruscan Age, when the locality was already an important trading place.

The real birth of the village occurred during the Middle Ages, when it was under the jurisdiction of the Acciaioli's family, that made a castle built whose around the community of Montespertoli started to gather.

Montespertoli developed its economy becoming an important market thanks to its closeness to important roads like the so called "Via Volterrana" that, going through the territory of Montespertoli, joined to the "Via Francigena".

In 1135 the city of Florence besieged the village of Montespertoli destroying its castle. During the next century Montespertoli became a first free common and then it was added to the domains of the Republic of Florence.

During the XV-th century Montespertoli increased its importance when it became a Podestà's seat and there was moved the market prevoiusly taking place in a close locality. From then started both the trading activities of the agricultural products coming from the close towns and improvement of the local productions.

Copyright © Editori dell'Acero Chiesa San piero in Mercato - Pulpito

The history of the village of Montespertoli was related to the events involving the Florentine Republic, being this latter governed first by the Medici's Grand Dukes and then, at the beginning of the XVIII-th century, by the Lorena's Dukes who increased the local economy thanks to the reclamation of the territory operated during their domination.

At the beginning of the XIX-th century the French army leaded by Napoleone Bonaparte invaded the territory of Montespertoli and stayed on until 1814, when the Treaty of Vienna assigned the village to the Tuscan Grand Dukedom.

In 1861 Montespertoli was annexed to the Reign of Italy by the King VIttorio Emanuele II of Savoia.

Among the most important monuments to see in Montespertoli we point out here the Chiesa di Sant'Andrea (Saint Andrew Church), the Pieve di San Pietro (Saint Peter Parish) and the Villa Sonnino (Sonnino Villa).

Among the several celebrations periodically taking place in Montespertoli we remind here the "Doughnut Festival" held yearly during the last weekend of March and that welcomes many curious people and appreciators of this fried sweet, filled with chocolate or cream.