|Back to the province of Firenze
Pelago (ZIP code 50060) is 26,6 kilometers far from Firenze, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.
Pelago has a population of 7.267 inhabitants (Pelaghesi) and a surface of 54,76 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 132,71 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 309 metres above the sea level.
The City Hall is located in Via Ponte Vecchio 1, phone ++39 055 - 8326236, fax ++39 055 - 8326839: the E-Mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Population: The municipality of Pelago had a popolation of 7.218 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 7.267 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of 0,68% inhabitants.
The inhabitants are distributed in 2.911 families with an average of 2,50 people per family.
The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 82 and 1.150 metres above sea level.
The altimetric spawn is thus of 1.068 metres.
Work and workers:There are 228 industrial firms employing 1.077 people that are the 52,67% of the total of the workers. There are 128 service firms employing 312 people that are the 15,26% of the total of the workers. There are also 146 firms employing 521 people that are the 25,48% of the total of the workers. There are also 36 administrative offices emplying 135 workers that are the 6,60% of the total of the workers.
There is a total of 2.045 workers, that are the 28,14% of the inhabitants of the municipality.
Pelago rises along the north-western slopes of the Pratomagno mount.
The local economy is mainly based on the vine production and on the activity of numerous mechanical, textile, clothes making, pottery's clay and plastic materials production industries.
The place name comes from the Latin word "Pelagus" with the meaning of "little lagoon".
Pelago has very ancient origins. It is supposed that the territory was populated sine Prehistorical Ages.
The foundation of the village occurred on the Etruscan Age and continued developing during the Roman Age up to consolidate along the Early Middle Ages around a castle belonging to the Guidi Counts, who owned numerous properties in the area.
During the Middle Ages rose the first houses and fortified castles placed on the numerous hills covering the whole territory. At that time the Abbey of Vallombrosa was built too.
During the next centuries the village of Pelago was in the middle of a quarrel among the local lordships and the powerful city of Florence for conquering the village that, placed in a strategic position allowed to control the roads below.
After a period of Florentine domination the quarrel ended on 1445 with the Pope's intervention by a Papal Bull that assigned the village of Pelago to the local family of Cattani, who held the control for a long.
Later Pelago was annexed to the Republic of Florence that, thanks to the action of the Medici's Grand Dukes, embellished the town by building new noble buildings and restoring the ancient ones.
The Medici's domiantion ended at the beginning of the XVIII-th century when the last Medici's descendant died. Then Pelago passed by heritance to the Lorena's Dukes, who operating a wise policy contributed to the economic growing of the village.
The Lorena's domination was interrupted by the invasion of the French troops leaded by Napoleone Bonaparte, who elevated the town to the rank of Town Hall. The Napoleonic domination ended on 1814, when the Treaty of Vienna assigned the town of Pelago to the Tuscan Grand Dukedom.
In 1861 Pelago was annexed to the Reign of Italy by the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.
Among the most important monuments to see in Pelago we point out here the Chiesa di San Clemente (Saint Clement Church), the Chiesa di San Francesco (Saint Francis Church), the Palazzo Stupan (Stupan Palace) and the Museo d'Arte Sacra (Holy Art Museum).
Among the numerous celebrations periodically taking place in Pelago we remind here the traditional "Craft Feast" held yearly on the last week of June, during which it is possible to admire an exhibit of fine local handicrafts.