|Back to the province of Firenze
Reggello (ZIP code 50066) is 38,8 kilometers far from Firenze, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.
Reggello has a population of 14.138 inhabitants (Reggellesi) and a surface of 121,25 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 116,60 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 390 metres above the sea level.
The City Hall is located in Piazza Roosvelt 1, phone ++39 055 - 86691, fax ++39 055 - 8669266: the E-Mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Population: The municipality of Reggello had a popolation of 12.601 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 14.138 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of 12,20% inhabitants.
The inhabitants are distributed in 5.224 families with an average of 2,71 people per family.
The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 100 and 1.537 metres above sea level.
The altimetric spawn is thus of 1.437 metres.
Work and workers:There are 405 industrial firms employing 2.282 people that are the 57,39% of the total of the workers. There are 267 service firms employing 554 people that are the 13,93% of the total of the workers. There are also 235 firms employing 730 people that are the 18,36% of the total of the workers. There are also 74 administrative offices emplying 410 workers that are the 10,31% of the total of the workers.
There is a total of 3.976 workers, that are the 28,12% of the inhabitants of the municipality.
Reggello extends from the north-western side of the mountains of the Pratomagno to the higher Valdarno.
The local economy is based on the agriculture and mainly on the production of oil, wine, and wheat fruits. In the territory numerous industries carry out the furniture and shoe production to those add several pharmaceutical and electromechanical industries.
The place name comes from the Latin word "rege" with reference to some "Longbard properties".
The first settlements in the territory of Reggello go back to the Etruscan and Roman Ages but the real consolidation of the village occurred during the Middle Ages, specifically between the X-th and the XI-th centuries.
From the end of the XIII-th century to the beginning of the XIV-th century Reggello was under the jurisdiction of the powerful city of Florence that, taking in account the strategic position of Reggello at the junction of two important roads, the "Via del Casentino" and the "Via Vetus", fortified the village by erecting an imposing ring of walls.
At the beginning of the XV-th century Reggello became a Podestà's seat.
During the next centuries, under the Medici's domination, the inhabitants developed an economy based on the agriculture characterized by a remarkable cultivation of wheat.
At the beginning of the XVIII-th century Reggello passed to the Lorena's Dukes, who reclaimed the territory, thus promoting the increase of the agricultural productions that led to a wide economic development.
In 1773 the Grand Duke Pietro Leopoldo of Lorena emanated the official birth of the community of Reggello.
The period of the Lorena's domination was interrupted by the invasion of the French army leaded by Napoleone Bonaparte. The Frenchs stayed in Reggello until 1814, when the Treaty of Vienna assigned the territory of Reggello to the Tuscan Grand Dukedom.
In 1861 Reggello was annexed to the Reign of Italy by the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.
Among the most interesting monuments to see in Reggello we point out here the Pieve Pitiana (Pitiana Parish), the Pieve di San Pietro (Saint Peter Parish in the hamlet of Cascia), the Chiesa di San Donato in Fronzano (Saint Donato in Fronzano Church in the hamlet of San Donato) and the Pieve di Sant'Agata in Àrfoli (Saint Agata in Àrfoli Parish in the hamlet of Pietrapiana).
Among the several celebrations periodically taking place in Reggello we point out here the traditional "Infiorata" (Adornment with Flowers) held yearly on June in honour of the Corpus Domini Feast.