|Back to the province of Firenze
Copyright © Wikipedia
Rignano sull`Arno (ZIP code 50067) is 38,5 kilometers far from Firenze, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.
Rignano sull`Arno has a population of 7.526 inhabitants (Rignanesi) and a surface of 54,22 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 138,80 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 118 metres above the sea level.
The City Hall is located in Piazza Repubblica 1, phone ++39 055 - 8347821, fax ++39 055 - 8348787: the E-Mail address is email@example.com.
Population: The municipality of Rignano sull`Arno had a popolation of 6.359 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 7.526 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of 18,35% inhabitants.
The inhabitants are distributed in 2.733 families with an average of 2,75 people per family.
The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 82 and 694 metres above sea level.
The altimetric spawn is thus of 612 metres.
Work and workers:There are 203 industrial firms employing 839 people that are the 45,43% of the total of the workers. There are 163 service firms employing 312 people that are the 16,89% of the total of the workers. There are also 151 firms employing 454 people that are the 24,58% of the total of the workers. There are also 54 administrative offices emplying 242 workers that are the 13,10% of the total of the workers.
There is a total of 1.847 workers, that are the 24,54% of the inhabitants of the municipality.
Rinignano sull'Arno rises along the left bank of the Arno river.
The local economy is mainly based on the production of cereals, vegetables, fruit, olive and grapes. There are also many mechanical, clothing and dockyard industries.
Copyright © Wikipedia
The place name comes from the Latin proper name of person "Herennius", to which the suffix "-anus" was added and, in 1863, the specification "sull'Arno" was added too (on the Arno river), with reference to the position of the town close to the homonymous river.
The first settlements in the area of Rinignano sull'Arno probably go back to the Roman Age, as testified by the place name.
The locality was quoted for the first time in an official document dating back to 1066, testifying this latter the presence of both a parish and a castle, whose around the community of Rinignano sull'Arno gathered in the next century.
At the end of the XII-th century the castle of Rinignano sull'Arno was first under the jurisdiction of the nuns of Saint Ellero and then under the influence of the monks of Vallombrosa.
At that time the community of Rinignano sull'Arno developed its economy that was mainly based on rural cultivations from which oil, wine and fruit came and whose productions were later sold in the markets rose along the river.
The development of the village of Rinignano sull'Arno is strictly related to the building of a bridge on the Arno river occurred on the XIV-th century for the will of the Republic of Florence. The bridge, joining the two banks, promoted the trading also to the hinterland.
Along the next centuries the historical events in Rinignano sull'Arno were related to those ones of the bridge, being this latter both the economic fortune of the village and the main cause of its decline lasted up to the XV-th century.
By the coming of the Medici's family to the power the first works for the reclamation of the territory were started so to restore the lands made marshy because of the flows of the river. The Medici also built numerous villas that today make Rinignano sull'Arno a wonderful place to visit.
Copyright © Wikipedia
Thanks both to the closeness of Florence and its protection and also the fertility of its lands, Rinignano sull'Arno increased its economy so to become in 1773, under the Lorena's domination, one of the most flourishing community of the Florentine countryside.
At the end of the XVIII-th century many parishes, once belonged to the town of Pontassieve, were annexed to the village.
The Lorena's domination was interrupted at the beginning of the next century by the invasion of the French army leaded by Napoleone Bonaparte, whose occupation ended on 1814, when Rinignano sull'Arno was added again to the Tuscan Grand Dukedom.
In 1861 Rinignano sull'Arno was annexed to the Reign of Italy by the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.
Among the most important monuments to see in Rinignano sull'Arno we point out here the Pieve di San Leonino (Saint Leonino Parish), the Chiesa di Santa Maria Immacolata (Our Immaculate Lady Church) and the Medieval fortifications.
Among famous people who were born in Rinignano sull'Arno we remind here the writer Vespasiano da Bisticci (1421-1489) and the painter Ardengo Soffici (1879-1964).
Among the numerous celebrations periodically taking place in Rinignano sull'Arno we point out here the traditional "Truffle Festival" held yearly on the end of June, during which it is possible to taste several excellent typical local food.