|Back to the province of Firenze
San Casciano in Val di Pesa
San Casciano in Val di Pesa (ZIP code 50026) is 19,2 kilometers far from Firenze, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.
San Casciano in Val di Pesa has a population of 16.169 inhabitants (Sancascianesi) and a surface of 108,01 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 149,70 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 310 metres above the sea level.
The City Hall is located in Via Machiavelli 56, phone ++39 055 - 82561, fax ++39 055 - 828316: the E-Mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Population: The municipality of San Casciano in Val di Pesa had a popolation of 16.012 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 16.169 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of 0,98% inhabitants.
The inhabitants are distributed in 5.957 families with an average of 2,71 people per family.
The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 75 and 518 metres above sea level.
The altimetric spawn is thus of 443 metres.
Work and workers:There are 424 industrial firms employing 1.575 people that are the 38,45% of the total of the workers. There are 379 service firms employing 863 people that are the 21,07% of the total of the workers. There are also 322 firms employing 1.335 people that are the 32,59% of the total of the workers. There are also 72 administrative offices emplying 323 workers that are the 7,89% of the total of the workers.
There is a total of 4.096 workers, that are the 25,33% of the inhabitants of the municipality.
San Casciano in Val di Pesa rises in the Chianti region, along the area placed between the Pesa valley and the Greve valley.
The local economy is mainly based on a valuable vine production and on the activty of numerous mechanical, textile, tanner, food and potter's clay and wood manufacturing industries.
The place name probably comes from the Latin proper name of person "Cassius", to which the specification "Val di Pesa" was added, with reference to the position of the town along the right bank of the Pesa torrent.
The first settlements in the area of San Casciano in Val di Pesa go back to the Etruscan Age, as testified by the numerous archaeological finds came to light and dating back to that time.
During the Roman Age the locality became a "mansio" of the Roman Empire, that is a place through wich the Roman army passed to change its horses. San Casciano in Val di Pesa held this function along the Middle Ages.
Between the XII-th and XIV-th century the community of San Casciano in Val di Pesa based its economy on the agriculture, from which the essential goods came.
In 1312, after besieging the city of Florence, the emperor Arrigo VII camped on the territory of San Casciano in Val di Pesa, being this latter previously devastated by the emperor's brother, the Archbishop of Treviri.
Some years later the village of San Casciano in Val di Pesa subdued a new devasting siege by the troops of Castruccio Castracani.
In the middle of the XV-th century, by coming Gualtieri Brienne to the power, the village of San Casciano in Val di Pesa was fortified by building an imposing ring of walls, equipped with some sighting towers. The fortication works were interrupted because of the escape of Gualtieri di Brienne.
During the second half of the same century, after the village sundued a long siege, the Republic of Florence decided to end the fortification works started by Gualtieri di Brienne.
By coming the Medici's Grand Dukes to the power started for San Casciano in Val di Pesa a period of politica stability that promoted the increasing of the local economy.
The Grand Dukes also carried out the restoration of the ancient buildings and the building of new and elegant palaces and villas on the same place where once the ancient fortifications rose.
During the Medici's domination was increased the vine production that, at the beginning of the XVIII-th century, got an additional impulse by coming the Lorena's Dukes to the power. The Lorena's Dukes promoted the increasing of the agricultural cultivations.
The Lorena's domination was interrupted at the beginning of the XIX-th century by the invasion operated by the French army leaded by Napoleone Bonaparte, who stayed on until 1814, when the Treaty of Vienna assigned San Casciano in Val di Pesa to the Tuscan Grand Dukedom, under the Lorena's Dukes again.
In 1861 San Casciano in Val di Pesa was annexed to the Reign of Italy by the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.
Among the most important monuments to see in San Casciano in Val di Pesa we point out here the Collegiata di San Cassiano (Saint Cassiano Collegiate Church), the Castello di Bibbione (Bibbione's Castle), the Museo della Misericordia (Mercy's Museum) and the Museo Vicariale d'Arte Sacra (Vicar Museum of Holy Art).
Among the numerous celebrations periodically taking place in San Casciano in Val di Pesa we remind here the "Grape Harvest Feast" held yearly from the last week of September to the first week of October several folkloristic celebration to propitiate the annual grape harvest, from which a valuable Chianti wine comes are carried on.