|Back to the province of Firenze
San Piero a Sieve
San Piero a Sieve (ZIP code 50037) is 26,3 kilometers far from Firenze, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.
San Piero a Sieve has a population of 3.758 inhabitants (Sanpierini) and a surface of 36,63 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 102,59 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 212 metres above the sea level.
The City Hall is located in Piazza Colonna 1, phone ++39 055 - 848751, fax ++39 055 - 848432: the E-Mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Population: The municipality of San Piero a Sieve had a popolation of 3.770 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 3.758 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of -0,32% inhabitants.
The inhabitants are distributed in 1.443 families with an average of 2,60 people per family.
The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 194 and 617 metres above sea level.
The altimetric spawn is thus of 423 metres.
Work and workers:There are 100 industrial firms employing 405 people that are the 43,50% of the total of the workers. There are 89 service firms employing 187 people that are the 20,09% of the total of the workers. There are also 70 firms employing 216 people that are the 23,20% of the total of the workers. There are also 25 administrative offices emplying 123 workers that are the 13,21% of the total of the workers.
There is a total of 931 workers, that are the 24,77% of the inhabitants of the municipality.
San Piero a Sieve extends along the right bank of the Sieve river.
The local economy is mainly based on the production of cereals, on the cattle breeding and on making food industries.
The place name probably comes from that one of a close church entitled to Saint Peter, to which the specification "Sieve" was added to indicate the position of the town close to homonymous river.
The foundation of the village of San Piero a Sieve occurred during the Middle Ages, as demonstrated by some official documents dating back to 1018 testifying the presence of a little agricultural village.
At the beginning San Piero a Sieve was subdued to the domination of the Ubaldini's family, under whose domination it developed consolidating during the XII-th century its rural economy, also thanks to its closeness to the Sieve river.
The Ubaldini dominated the territory up to the XV-th century, during whose period the Medici's Grand Dukes conquered a part of their feudal properties, also annexing the village of San Piero a Sieve to its own possessions.
During their domination the Medici's Grand Dukes started the urban development of the whole area that leaded to build roads, buildings and new elegant palaces.
At that time San Piero a Sieve reached a considerable political and economic importance thanks to the interest of the Medici's Grand Dukes, who thought to gain considerable economic benefits from the village, being this latter placed in a strategic position.
During the XIV-th century the first bridge on the Sieve river was built and this gave an additional impulse to the economy by increasing the trading of the local products. At the same time the village was equipped with defensive fortified buildings. Among them the Saint Martin Fortress distinguishes for being still visible today.
The Medici's domination lasted up to the beginning of the XVIII-th century, when the Lorena's Dukes came to the power and promoted the development of new economic activities, like the textile manufacture of wool and linen.
At the beginning of the next century the Lorena's domination was interrupted by the invasion of the French troops leaded by Napoleone Bonaparte that occupied the territory until 1814.
Later the village of San Piero a Sieve entered the Tuscan Grand Dukedom, under the Lorena's government, remaining there until 1861, when occurred the Unity of Italy by the action of the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.
Among the most important monuments to see in San Piero a Sieve we point out here the Parrocchiale di San Pietro (Saint Peter Parish), the Convento del Bosco ai Frati (Convent of the Wood at the Friars), the Fortezza di San Martino (Saint Martin Fortress), the Villa Schifanoia (Schifanoia Villae) and the Palazzo Adami (Adami Palace).
Among the numerous celebrations periodically taking place in San Piero a Sieve the traditional "Chestnuts Festival" held yearly on October and during which it is possible to taste the good courses based on chestnuts, the very typical local product of the area.