|Back to the province of Firenze
Scandicci (ZIP code 50018) is 8,1 kilometers far from Firenze, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.
Scandicci has a population of 49.837 inhabitants (Scandiccesi) and a surface of 59,59 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 836,33 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 47 metres above the sea level.
The City Hall is located in Piazzale della Resistenza, phone ++39 055 - 75911, fax ++39 055 - 7591320: the E-Mail address is email@example.com.
Population: The municipality of Scandicci had a popolation of 53.523 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 49.837 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of -6,89% inhabitants.
The inhabitants are distributed in 19.279 families with an average of 2,59 people per family.
The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 32 and 380 metres above sea level.
The altimetric spawn is thus of 348 metres.
Work and workers:There are 1.538 industrial firms employing 10.151 people that are the 53,48% of the total of the workers. There are 1.066 service firms employing 2.796 people that are the 14,73% of the total of the workers. There are also 1.094 firms employing 3.691 people that are the 19,44% of the total of the workers. There are also 188 administrative offices emplying 2.344 workers that are the 12,35% of the total of the workers.
There is a total of 18.982 workers, that are the 38,09% of the inhabitants of the municipality.
Scandicci rises on a hilly area placed between the Arno river and the Valley of Pesa.
The economy of Scandicci is mainly based on industrial activities such as the mechanical, dockyard, food, pharmaceutical, tanning, shoe and clothing industries.
The origin of the town goes back to the Roman Age, even if some historical data would show its importance as a trading centre already in the Hellenic Age.
The origin of the name of Scandicci is doubtful: according to the best hypothesis, the name comes from the Latin verb "scandere" that means "to go up" referring to the highest settlement of the town, that could be gained going up to the close hill.
An official act of 988 testifies the presence of a first religious building in the area of Scandicci, named Saint Salvatore in Settimo Abbey, belonging to the Cadolingi feudal family. In 1004 they gave the abbey to some Benedictine monks and then it was under the religious jurisdiction.
The official history about the community of Scandicci started on the second half of the eighteenth century under Leopoldo of Lorena's domination. He started a reforming process that built the first communities of Casellina and Torri, and unified all the territory.
Over the next years Scandicci was governed by several religious orders who took turns in the abbey until the nineteenth century.
In 1861 Scandicci was added to the Reign of Italy by the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.
In 1865 the residential settlement was enlarged by including some close territories and finally it got a large surface of about seventy thousand hectares.
At the end of the nineteenth century was erected several buildings like the Municipal Palace and was started an improvement of the urban order and roads by building several squares like the Piave and Matteotti Squares.
During the twentieth century some localities of Scandicci passed under Florentine administration.
Among the most interesting monuments to see in Scandicci we point out here the Badia di San Salvatore a Settimo (Saint Salvatore in Settimo Abbey), the Chiesa di San Martino alla Palma (Saint Martin to the Palm Church), the Parrocchiale di Santa Maria (Saint Mary Parish), the Villa Paserini (Paserini Villa) and the Castello dell'Acciaiolo (Acciaiolo Castle).