Back to the province of Firenze

Scarperia

Copyright © Editori dell'Acero Paesaggio di Scarperia

Scarperia (ZIP code 50038) is 52,6 kilometers far from Firenze, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.

Scarperia has a population of 6.778 inhabitants (Scarperiesi) and a surface of 79,37 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 85,40 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 292 metres above the sea level.

The City Hall is located in Via dei Bastioni 3, phone ++39 055 - 843161, fax ++39 055 - 846509: the E-Mail address is urp@comune.scarperia.fi.it.

Population: The municipality of Scarperia had a popolation of 5.852 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 6.778 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of 15,82% inhabitants.

The inhabitants are distributed in 2.528 families with an average of 2,68 people per family.

Copyright © Editori dell'Acero Chiesa di Sant`Agata

The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 193 and 1.125 metres above sea level.

The altimetric spawn is thus of 932 metres.

Work and workers:There are 215 industrial firms employing 1.791 people that are the 67,15% of the total of the workers. There are 98 service firms employing 255 people that are the 9,56% of the total of the workers. There are also 101 firms employing 320 people that are the 12,00% of the total of the workers. There are also 47 administrative offices emplying 301 workers that are the 11,29% of the total of the workers.

There is a total of 2.667 workers, that are the 39,35% of the inhabitants of the municipality.

Scarperia rises along the valley of the Mugello.

The economy of the town is mainly based on tourism thanks to the Medieval charm of the town and also to the fine accommodation facilities. The International Racing Circuit of the Mugello also attracts several fans. Valuable is the ancient artisan production of knives, daing back to the Middle Ages.

The place name comes from the Latin word "scarpa" that probably means slope.

Copyright © Editori dell'Acero Chiesa dei Santi Jacopo e Filippo

The first settlements in the area of Scarperia go back to the Etruscan and Roman Ages. At that time Scarperia had an important role because it was crossed by two important roads, the "Faentina" and the "Bolognese" ones.

The official foundation of the town goes back to 1306 by the Florentine Republic that wanted to oppose the overlords of the Ubaldini family who controlled the main roads of the Mugello. The Florentines built a militar well fortified settlemen, so that they got the control and defence of all the roads from Florence to the north of the country.

In 1415 Scarperia became a Vicarship and got a great administrative importance in the Mugello.

In 1562, because of the damages of a previous earthquake, the Florentine Republic rebuilt the town fortifying it by building a new ring of walls and a bastion, whose remains are still visible today. Since then Scarperia experienced a good economic impulse based on the trading activity and the manufacture of iron that lasted on the next centuries.

In the middle of the eighteenth century started a period of economic decline caused by opening of a road, for the will of the Dukes Lorena, that linked the cities of Florence and Bologna through the pass of the Futa thus leaving Scarperia casted away from the trading activities.

Copyright © Editori dell'Acero Chiesa di Santa Maria a Fagna

In 1861 Scarperia was added to the Reign of Italy by the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.

Among the most interesting monuments to see in Scarperia we point out here the Prepositura dei Santi Jacopo e Filippo (Saints Jacopo and Filippo Provostship), the Cappella della Madonna di Piazza (Chapel of the Our Lady of Piazza), the Oratorio della Madonna dei Terremoti (Our Lady of Earthquakes Oratory) and the Palazzo dei Vicari (Vicars' Palace).

Among famous people who were born in Scarperia we remind the writer Nicola Lisi (18931975).

Among several events taking periodically place in Scarperia we point out here the traditional celebration of the "Diotto" taking place on September 8th for the Feast of the Our Lady's Nativity. During the celebration holds a Historical Procession as well as some traditional contests of skill like the throw of knives.