Back to the province of Firenze

Vicchio

Copyright © Municipality of Vicchio Chiesa Barbiani

Vicchio (ZIP code 50039) is 35,4 kilometers far from Firenze, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.

Vicchio has a population of 7.114 inhabitants (Vicchiesi) and a surface of 138,95 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 51,20 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 203 metres above the sea level.

The City Hall is located in Via Garibaldi 1, phone ++39 055 - 843921, fax ++39 055 - 844275: the E-Mail address is urp@comune.vicchio.fi.it.

Population: The municipality of Vicchio had a popolation of 6.271 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 7.114 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of 13,44% inhabitants.

The inhabitants are distributed in 2.739 families with an average of 2,60 people per family.

The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 149 and 1.137 metres above sea level.

The altimetric spawn is thus of 988 metres.

Copyright © Municipality of Vicchio Monte Sassi

Work and workers:There are 219 industrial firms employing 818 people that are the 57,48% of the total of the workers. There are 121 service firms employing 253 people that are the 17,78% of the total of the workers. There are also 88 firms employing 247 people that are the 17,36% of the total of the workers. There are also 45 administrative offices emplying 105 workers that are the 7,38% of the total of the workers.

There is a total of 1.423 workers, that are the 20,00% of the inhabitants of the municipality.

Vicchio rises in a high position at the boundary between the valleys of the Sieve river and of the Mugello river.

The local economy is mainly based on the agriculture and especially on the vine production. There are also numerous industries for the shoes and clothes making and for the production of liquors.

The place name reflects a popular expression coming from the Latin "viculus" that is a diminutive of the word "vicus", with the meaning of "group of houses".

The first settlements in the area of Vicchio go back to the Etruscan Age, as the numerous archaeological finds, dating back to this time, testify.

The real consolidation of the village occurred during the Middle Ages. Around year 1000 numerous parishes and castle were already in the territory and they were under the jurisdiction of the Guidi Counts.

Copyright © Editori dell'Acero Ponte a Vicchio

During the XIII-th century the Guidi Counts had to face up the sieges of the troops sent by the city of Florence that wanted to extend its jurisdiction to the village of Vicchio by its strategic boundary position.

At the end of the same century the Republic of Florence got to take Vicchio away from the influence of the Guidi Counts and to add the village to its domains. Then started the building of a bridge on the Sieve river that joined the two river banks to the fortified village by building an imposing ring of walls and some sighting towers.

Since the second half of the XIV-th century Vicchio experienced a period of political stability under the domination of the Medici's Grand Dukes, that promoted the local economic growing.

In 1355 the so called "Legacy of Vicchio" was costitued including the close towns of Santo Stefano in Botena, San Cresci a Valcava, San Martino in Viminiccio, San Casciano in Padule and Dicomano.

In 1384 Vicchio became Podestà's seat and granted into the legacy other territories that later sided against the Republic of Florence supporting the descend of the Spanish troops leaded by Carlo V, who besieged Florence.

Copyright © Municipality of Vicchio Teatro Giotto

Only in the middle of the XVIII-th century, by coming the Lorena's Dukes to the power, the local economy had a great impulse mainly thanks to the Grand Ducal works for the reclamation of the territory. Those interventions promoted also the population growing that, joined to that economic one, increased the importance of Vicchio.

In 1861 Vicchio was annexed to the Reign of Italy by the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.

Among the most important monuments to see in Vicchio we point out here the Chiesa di San Giovanni Battista (Saint John Baptist Church), the Oratorio dell'Arciconfraternita della Misericordia (Archconfraternity of the Misericordy Oratory), the Casa di Benvenuto Cellini (Benvenuto Cellini's House), the Palazzo Pretorio (Praetorian Palace), the Museo "Beato Angelico" ("Angelic Blessed" Museum) and the Casa di Giotto (Giotto's House), in the close locality of Vespignano.

Among famous people who were born in Vicchio we remind the famous painter and architect Giotto di Bondone (1267-1337) and the Renaissance painter Guido di Pietro became Fra Giovanni da Fiesole and well known with the name of "Beato Angelico" (1395-1455).

Among the numerous celebrations taking place in Vicchio we point out here "Vicchio in Fair" yearly held from the end of August to the beginning of September by taking place exhibitions of local craftsmanship, stands for tasting local foods and also foot and bicycle races.