|Back to the province of Grosseto
Arcidosso (ZIP code 58031) is 55,8 kilometers far from Grosseto, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.
Arcidosso has a population of 4.103 inhabitants (Arcidossini) and a surface of 93,46 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 43,90 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 679 metres above the sea level.
The City Hall is located in Piazza Indipendenza 30, phone ++39 0564 - 966438, fax ++39 0564 - 966010: the E-Mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Population: The municipality of Arcidosso had a popolation of 4.135 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 4.103 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of -0,77% inhabitants.
The inhabitants are distributed in 1.880 families with an average of 2,18 people per family.
The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 103 and 1.571 metres above sea level.
The altimetric spawn is thus of 1.468 metres.
Work and workers:There are 94 industrial firms employing 310 people that are the 21,95% of the total of the workers. There are 129 service firms employing 294 people that are the 20,82% of the total of the workers. There are also 112 firms employing 352 people that are the 24,93% of the total of the workers. There are also 46 administrative offices emplying 456 workers that are the 32,29% of the total of the workers.
There is a total of 1.412 workers, that are the 34,41% of the inhabitants of the municipality.
Arcidosso rises along the slopes of the Amiata mount.
The local economy is mainly based on the agriculture and on the artisan activities of the manufacture of the wood and metal.
There are numerous hypothesis about the etymology of the place name. According some people the place name could come from the Latin word "arcis" (fortress), whereas according to other ones it could come from the Latin "arci" (arch) and later was added to the name the other name "dosso", coming from the Latin "dorsum" (summity).
The consolidation of the village of Arcidosso occurred on the X-th century, but its name appeared for the first time in official documents dating back to 860, testifying the presence of the Saint Salvatore Abbey in the territory.
At that time Arcidosso was a feudal property of the Aldobrandeschi'es family, who, in 964, obtained the confirmation of their rights on the village by the Emperor Ottone I.
The Aldobrandeschi operated the building of a fortress and numerous fortification works. At the same time the Saint Leonard Church was built.
After a long quarrel for the possession of the Castle of Arcidosso between the Adobrandeschi and the Saint Salvatore Abbey, it was conquered in 1331 by the powerful city of Siena.
The period of the domination of Siena lasted until 1559, when Arcidosso was annexed to the Tuscan Grand Dukedom and thus subdued to the Grand Dukes Medici's jurisdiction.
The Medici's domination marked the beginning of a phase of politic and economic stability, so that the castle lost its ancient military function and it became both a Vicarship and a Captainship.
At the beginning of the XVIII-th century Arcidosso passed for heritance to the Lorena's Dukes, who, in 1776, elevated the village also to a Podestà's seat.
In 1861 Arcidosso was annexed to the Reign of Italy by the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.
Among the most important monuments to see in Arcidosso we point out here the Chiesa di San Leonardo (Saint Leonard Church), the Chiesa della Madonna dell'Incoronata (Our Lady Crowned Church), the Porta dell'Orologio (Gate of the Watch) and the Rocca Aldobrandesca (Aldobrandeschi's Fortress).
Among the numerous celebrations periodically taking place in Arcidosso we remind here the "Oil Festival of the Amiata mount" held yearly on November in Montelaterone, a district of Arcidosso. During the festival it is possible to taste the oil produced in Arcidosso and also watch the several music shows take place on the occasion of the festival.