|Back to the province of Grosseto
Castel del Piano
Castel del Piano (ZIP code 58033) is 56,2 kilometers far from Grosseto, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.
Castel del Piano has a population of 4.331 inhabitants (Casteldelpianesi) and a surface of 67,78 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 63,90 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 637 metres above the sea level.
The City Hall is located in Via Marconi 9, phone ++39 0564 - 973511, fax ++39 0564 - 957155: the E-Mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Population: The municipality of Castel del Piano had a popolation of 4.376 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 4.331 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of -1,03% inhabitants.
The inhabitants are distributed in 1.901 families with an average of 2,28 people per family.
The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 93 and 1.738 metres above sea level.
The altimetric spawn is thus of 1.645 metres.
Work and workers:There are 118 industrial firms employing 516 people that are the 31,05% of the total of the workers. There are 126 service firms employing 319 people that are the 19,19% of the total of the workers. There are also 116 firms employing 391 people that are the 23,53% of the total of the workers. There are also 49 administrative offices emplying 436 workers that are the 26,23% of the total of the workers.
There is a total of 1.662 workers, that are the 38,37% of the inhabitants of the municipality.
Castel del Piano rises on the western slope of the Amiata mount.
The local economy is mainly based on the silviculture and on the vine, chestnuts and cherries production. There are also numerous industries for the processing of the diatomite, a mineral used for building furnitures.
The place name is probably related to an ancient local castle built on a plain area.
Since 890 and for the next four centuries Castel del Piano belonged to the Saint Salvatore Abbey.
Around the XI-th century the influential family of the Aldobrandeschi's Counts conquered the close village of Montenero, also belonging to the Saint Salvatore Abbey, and then extended its influence to the village of Castel del Piano.
In 1274 the village of Castel del Piano passed to another branch of the Aldobrandeschi's family, that one of the Santa Fiora's Counts, who in 1331 sold the village to the city of Siena.
The period of the Siena's domination lasted up to 1559, when, due to the collapse of the Republic of Siena, Castel del Piano was annexed to the Tuscan Grand Dukedom and thus subdued to the jurisdiction of the Medici's Grand Dukes.
The Medici's domination marked up the beginning of a political stability that also promoted a great economic growing of the village. The Medici made some elegant palaces built that today it is still possible to admire.
At the beginning of the XVIII-th century Castel del Piano passed by heritance to the Lorena's Dukes, who, in 1776, elevated the village to the rank of a Podesta's seat.
In 1861 Castel del Piano was annexed to the Reign of Italy by the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.
Among the most interesting monuments to see in Castel del Piano we point out here the Chiesa dei Santi Niccolò e Lucia (Saint Nicholas and Lucy Church), the Chiesa di San Leonardo (Saint Leonard Church), the Palazzo Nerucci (Nerucci Palace) and the Torre dell'Orologio (Tower of the Watch).
Among famous people who were born in Castel del Piano we remind here the hostorician and archivist Eugenio Lazzareschi (1882-1949) and the Nasini family's painters, active between the middle of the XVII-th and the middle of the XVIII-th century.
Among the numerous celebrations taking yearly place in Castel del Piano we point out the traditional "Palio delle Contrade" (Quarters Horse Race) that takes place on September 8th, in honour of the Holiest Our Lady of the Graces. The celebrations consists of a historical procession in Medieval costumes and then a horse race involving the four quarters of the town named Borgo, Storte, Monumento and Poggio.