|Back to the province of Grosseto
Castell`Azzara (ZIP code 58034) is 83 kilometers far from Grosseto, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.
Castell`Azzara has a population of 1.826 inhabitants (Castellazzaresi) and a surface of 64,75 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 28,20 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 815 metres above the sea level.
The City Hall is located in Via G. Marconi 2, phone ++39 0564 - 95291, fax ++39 0564 - 951463: the E-Mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Population: The municipality of Castell`Azzara had a popolation of 2.105 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 1.826 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of -13,25% inhabitants.
The inhabitants are distributed in 901 families with an average of 2,03 people per family.
The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 272 and 1.107 metres above sea level.
The altimetric spawn is thus of 835 metres.
Work and workers:There are 23 industrial firms employing 110 people that are the 32,64% of the total of the workers. There are 48 service firms employing 82 people that are the 24,33% of the total of the workers. There are also 34 firms employing 97 people that are the 28,78% of the total of the workers. There are also 24 administrative offices emplying 48 workers that are the 14,24% of the total of the workers.
There is a total of 337 workers, that are the 18,46% of the inhabitants of the municipality.
Castell'Azzara rises in the high valley of the Siele torrent.
The local economy is mainly based on the production of cereals and grapes and on the activity of the cinnabar mining. Tourism is also remarkable due to the beauty of the places and the presence of numerous and qualified fine hotels.
The place name probably comes from the compound of "castellum", with the meaning of "fortified place", and of the Latin proper name of person "Lazzarius".
The village of Castell'Azzara started to develop during the XIII-th century under the jurisdiction of the Aldobrandeschi's Counts. This latter built a fortress, whose around the inhabitants gathered and built their houses.
The village was born as a fortified place at the boundary of the domains of the same counts, extending between the course of the Paglia torrent and the so called "Via Francigena".
During the next centuries the village, still under the Aldobrandeschi's influence, was quarrelled for a long between the Republic of Florence and the town of Orvieto.
By dieing the last direct Aldobrandeschi's descendant, occurred on the beginning of the XV-th century, the territory of Castell'Azzara was bought by the Sforza's family, who built the wonderful "Sforza's Villa", that is visible still today.
During the next century the village of Castell'Azzara was gave to the Medici's Grand Dukes, who held it along the next two centuries.
At the beginning of the XVIII-th century, by dieing the last Medici's descendant , the property of the village of Castell'Azzara passed by heritance to the Lorena's Dukes, who dominated up to the beginning of the next century, when the territory was invaded by the French army leaded by Napoleone Bonaparte.
In 1814 the French occupation ended and Castell'Azzara was annexed to the Tuscan Grand Dukedom, under the Lorena's Dukes.
The village of Castell'Azzara reached its municipal autonomy after the Unity of Italy occurred on 1861 by the action of the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.
Among the most important monuments to see in Castell'Azzara we point out here the Convento della Santissima Trinità (Holiest Trinity Convent) and the Villa Sforzesca (Sforza's Villa).
Among the numerous celebrations periodically taking place in Castell'Azzara we remind the traditional "Singing May" held yearly on the night preceding the May 1st and during which the inhabitants use to walk around the town singing popular songs and tasting flavoured bread accompanied with the good local wine.