|Back to the province of Grosseto
Civitella Paganico (ZIP code 58045) is 33,6 kilometers far from Grosseto, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.
Civitella Paganico has a population of 3.043 inhabitants (Civitellini o Paganichesi) and a surface of 192,59 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 15,80 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 329 metres above the sea level.
The City Hall is located in Via Primo Maggio 6, phone ++39 0564 - 900411, fax ++39 0564 - 900414: the E-Mail address is email@example.com.
Population: The municipality of Civitella Paganico had a popolation of 3.090 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 3.043 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of -1,52% inhabitants.
The inhabitants are distributed in 1.272 families with an average of 2,39 people per family.
The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 44 and 596 metres above sea level.
The altimetric spawn is thus of 552 metres.
Work and workers:There are 50 industrial firms employing 168 people that are the 21,57% of the total of the workers. There are 111 service firms employing 235 people that are the 30,17% of the total of the workers. There are also 96 firms employing 295 people that are the 37,87% of the total of the workers. There are also 29 administrative offices emplying 81 workers that are the 10,40% of the total of the workers.
There is a total of 779 workers, that are the 25,60% of the inhabitants of the municipality.
Civitella Paganico rises on a hill placed in the Maremma area.
The local economy is mainly based on the production of olives, grapes and on the activity of numerous building industries and other ones for the artisan manufacturing of the wood. Also the antimony mining and processing activity is remarkable, being the antimony used as a component of metal alloys.
The place name comes from the compound of "civitella", being this latter a diminutive of "civita", with the meaning of "remains of precedent buildings", and of the specification "paganico" added in 1928, when the homonymous locality was united to the common.
The first settlements in the area of Civitella Paganico go back to the Etruscan and Roman Ages, as testified by the archaeological finds of numerous Etruscan and Roman necropolises.
At that time both of the two villages of Civitella and Paganico were important agricultural places where flourishing trading activities took place, thanks to the presence of the close Ombrone river.
Due to the spreading of marshy lands in the area and the Barbaric invasions, the territory was left by the community to be repopulated during the Early Middle Ages.
During the middle Ages the first fortifications were built on the territory, being this lattger under the jurisdiction of the feudal Count Ardingo Ardengheschi, who was previously a functionary of the German emperor Enrico II.
At the end of the XII-th century the territory of Civitella Paganico was subdued to the influence of the city of Siena that, at the beginning of the next century, reached the control of the village.
Due to its geographical strategic position for the control of the Maremma area, Siena started a great work for the fortification of the village that ended in the middle of the XIV-th century.
The domination of Siena lasted up to the XVI-th century, when the Florentine and the Imperial armies besieged the city of Siena causing the collapse of the republic of this latter.
Since 1555 the village entered the Republic of Florence, being this latter under the government of the Medici's Grand Dukes.
In 1630 the village of Civitella Paganico was gave as a feud, with the title of Marquisate, to the noble Patrizi's family, that held the control up to the middle of the XVIII-th century, when Pietro Leopoldo of Lorena reached the direct control of the village.
The municipal autonomy of the village, born by unifying the two villages of Civitella and Paganico, was acted after the Unity of Italy occurred on 1861 by the action of the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.
Among the most important monuments to see in Civitella Paganico we point out here the Badia di San Lorenzo (Saint Lorenz Abbey), the Parrocchiale di San Michele (Saint Michael Parish) and the remains of the Medieval fortifications.
Among the numerous celebrations periodically taking place in Civitella Paganico we remind the traditional "Festival of the High Maremma area" held yearly on August and during which it is possible both to attend some musical, theatrical and dancing shows and also to taste the good typical courses and local wines of the Maremma area.