|Back to the province of Grosseto
Follonica (ZIP code 58022) is 46,6 kilometers far from Grosseto, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.
Follonica has a population of 20.924 inhabitants (Follonichesi) and a surface of 55,83 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 374,78 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 4 metres above the sea level.
The City Hall is located in Largo Cavallotti 1, phone ++39 0566 - 59111, fax ++39 0566 - 59262: the E-Mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Population: The municipality of Follonica had a popolation of 21.353 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 20.924 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of -2,01% inhabitants.
The inhabitants are distributed in 8.929 families with an average of 2,34 people per family.
The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 1 and 308 metres above sea level.
The altimetric spawn is thus of 307 metres.
Work and workers:There are 467 industrial firms employing 1.692 people that are the 21,98% of the total of the workers. There are 764 service firms employing 1.751 people that are the 22,75% of the total of the workers. There are also 788 firms employing 2.479 people that are the 32,20% of the total of the workers. There are also 122 administrative offices emplying 1.776 workers that are the 23,07% of the total of the workers.
There is a total of 7.698 workers, that are the 36,79% of the inhabitants of the municipality.
Follonica rises on the homonymous gulf along the coast of Maremma, between Piombino and Punta Ala, bounded by a large pine-wood.
The main economic activities of Follonica are seaside tourism, craftsmanship and industry. The typical products of the Follonica area are wood, cork, tiles, paper and the farming of vegetables and fruit. Follonica, mainly known as a tourist seaside resort, offers also unforgettable trips in the green belt of the pine-woods and visits to several close medieval and archaeological places.
Among natural resources of the area, we point out the Interprovincial Park and the natural area of Montioni.
The original name of the town, seems to derive from the old Latin "fullo-onis", literally "laundry".
The present Follonica rises in the surroundings of the ancient site of Rondelli, dating back to the Etruscan period where iron was already worked at the beginning of VI-th century B.C., as testified by recent archaeological excavations that brought to light a village dating back to VI-th century B.C. and two tombs of VII-th century B.C..
In the surroundings of the modern Follonica also rises the Castello di Valli (Valli Castle), whose territory, with every probability, belonged to the ancient Follonica.
First hystorical data about Follonica go back to XI-th century: the first written testimony about Follonica existence is of the year 1038.
The name of Follonica is mentioned in a donation act of part of territory to the local abbey of Sestigna in order to set up the old Follonica's iron factory.
However historical data remind poor until 1800 when, under the government of granduke Leopold II from Toscana, the town experienced a quick urban development, result of granduke's decision, in 1836, to make Follonica seat of regal administration of the foundries and mines.
The development of town kept step with the gain of iron and steel industry, whose activity stopped in 1963.
In 1977, in the old iron and steel industry was putted on the Museum of Iron and Cast Iron, to testify local activity of artistic manufacture of iron.
In the museum it is possible to revive all the phases of manufacture of iron and to admire the old machines used in the above mentioned manufacture.
Among the most interesting monuments to see in Follonica we point out here the Saint Leopold Church and the Museum of Iron and Cast Iron.
Among frequent cultural events taking place in Follonica we point out the Feast of the Sea occurring on August 14th with a show of fireworks and music on the beach.