|Back to the province of Grosseto
Grosseto (ZIP code 58100) is 0 kilometers far from Grosseto, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.
Grosseto has a population of 69.899 inhabitants (Grossetani) and a surface of 474,53 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 147,30 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 10 metres above the sea level.
The City Hall is located in Piazza Duomo 1, phone ++39 0564 - 488111, fax ++39 0564 - 488286: the E-Mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Population: The municipality of Grosseto had a popolation of 71.257 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 69.899 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of -1,91% inhabitants.
The inhabitants are distributed in 27.540 families with an average of 2,54 people per family.
The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 1 and 458 metres above sea level.
The altimetric spawn is thus of 457 metres.
Work and workers:There are 1.278 industrial firms employing 4.704 people that are the 18,83% of the total of the workers. There are 1.917 service firms employing 4.972 people that are the 19,90% of the total of the workers. There are also 2.407 firms employing 9.186 people that are the 36,77% of the total of the workers. There are also 433 administrative offices emplying 6.123 workers that are the 24,51% of the total of the workers.
There is a total of 24.985 workers, that are the 35,74% of the inhabitants of the municipality.
Grosseto, flourishing city of the Maremma coast, rises on the right plane of the Ombrone river.
The economy of Grosseto is mainly based on yard, mechanical, mining, packaging and food industries. Citizens, besides being given to industrial activities, they are also given to agriculture by cultivation of corns, olives, vines and fishing activity.
The remains of an ancient Etruscan settlement let date its origin around V-th century B. C. even if the first certain data don't go later than IX-th century.
The place name probably comes from the Latin word "grossus" with the meaning of "a kind of fig".
The history of Grosseto is related to the decline and the destruction of the close Roselle, occurred on 935 by the Vandals and the Saracen invasions. The abandoning of Roselle gave an impulse to the development of Grosseto.
After the devastation of Roselle in 1138, Pope Innocenzo III transferred to Grosseto the bishop's centre, giving to the city a great importance in the Maremma area. In such period was also erected a first ring of walls.
In XI-th century the city became a feud of Aldobrandeschi's family who reinforced the town walls.
In 1222 Grosseto conquered its autonomy but two years later it was subdued by Siena that was decided to expand its domination on the Maremma. Vain were the attempts of rising, under the lead of the Aldobrandeschi, against the egemony of Siena: they ended in 1336 in the definitive annexation of Grosseto to Siena.
In 1421 it was issued a town statute and the city of Grosseto, even if under the control of Siena, got a bit of autonomy in administrative matter.
The domination of Siena ended finally in 1559 when, after the armed interventation operated by the Emperor Carlo V, the territories of Siena were merged in the Tuscan Grand Dukedom under Cosimo I de' Medici.
In 1564 Cosimo I de' Medici projected new defences for the city, that was an important warehouse for grain and salt. The domination of the Medici family lasted until 1735 when it was substituted by the Lorena one.
Under the Lorena family domination Grosseto flourished again: Pietro Leopoldo Lorena took again the works for the reclamation of the territory, he sanctioned the legislative unification of Tuscany, he established the main town of the region to Grosseto, he granted lands and repayments and repealed any taxs captiving population favour who erected a monument to him in the central square of the town.
Then the history of Grosseto is linked to the French Revolution, to the domination of Napoleone Bonaparte and to the restoring took back Lorena to the throne.
By a general vote in 1861, Grosseto was annected to the Reign of Italy by the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.
Among the most interesting monuments to see in Grosseto we point out here the Chiesa di San Pietro (Saint Peter Church), the Chiesa di San Francesco (Saint Francesco Church), the Duomo (Cathedral), the Mura Medicee (Medicean Walls), the Palazzo Comunale (Municipal Palace) and the Teatro degli Industri (Theatre of the Industri).