Back to the province of Grosseto

Isola del Giglio

© Reti e Sistemi Toscana.indettaglio.it

Isola del Giglio (ZIP code 58012) is 74,3 kilometers far from Grosseto, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.

Isola del Giglio has a population of 1.401 inhabitants (Gigliesi) and a surface of 23,79 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 58,89 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 405 metres above the sea level.

The City Hall is located in Via Vittorio Emanuele 2, phone ++39 0564 - 806064, fax ++39 0564 - 806349: the E-Mail address is comunediisoladelgiglio.ci@tin.it.

Population: The municipality of Isola del Giglio had a popolation of 1.558 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 1.401 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of -10,08% inhabitants.

The inhabitants are distributed in 666 families with an average of 2,10 people per family.

The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 1 and 496 metres above sea level.

The altimetric spawn is thus of 495 metres.

Work and workers:There are 32 industrial firms employing 139 people that are the 18,41% of the total of the workers. There are 74 service firms employing 150 people that are the 19,87% of the total of the workers. There are also 121 firms employing 383 people that are the 50,73% of the total of the workers. There are also 15 administrative offices emplying 83 workers that are the 10,99% of the total of the workers.

There is a total of 755 workers, that are the 53,89% of the inhabitants of the municipality.

Isola del Giglio, the second longest island of Tuscan archipelago, is placed in the middle of the Tirrenic Sea just 11 miles away from the Promontory of Argentario. The island is made up of granitic rocks and it has a mountainous appearence with the highest point on the Pagana hillock (498 metres high).

The island, besides being a famous tourist resort, it is also famous for a precious wine production and for the beauty of its sea. The citizens of the island, besides taking up agricultural and tourist activities, they carry out fishing activity.

The municipality of Isola del Giglio is made by three close built-up areas: Giglio Porto and Giglio Campese, that are tourist resorts, and Giglio Castello, where take place the local administration offices. The municipality also comprises the "Isola di Giannutri", the easternest island of Tuscan Arcipelago.

The first urban settlements, on the side of Giglio Campese, go back to prehistoric ages: in the Etruscan Age the site became seat of a harbour, which flourishing activity is testified up to the Middle Ages.

During the third century B.C. Isola del Giglio was occupied by the Romans who held their control on the island until downfall of the West Roman Empire. Later the common passed to the dinasty of Aldobrandeschi, of Pannocchieschi, of Caetani, of Orsini and the town of Perugia.

From 1264 to 1406 Isola del Giglio was under the Pisan domination. In 1460 the island passed to Pio II Piccolomini whose family held his ownership until 1544, when, after pirates' raids leaded by Khair ed-Din, well known as Barbarossa, population was decimated and the survivors were reduced to slavery.

In 1558 Isola del Giglio went into the politic orbit of the Tuscan Grand dukedome under the Medici dinasty and it shared the politic and economic chances with the Grand dukedom until its annexation to the Reign of Italy occurred on 1861 by the King Vittorio Emanuele II from Savoia.

Among the most important monuments in Isola del Giglio we point out here the Parrocchiale di San Pietro Apostolo (Saint Peter Apostolo Parish) and the Fortezza Pisana (Pisan Fortress) placed in Giglio Castello, the remains of the villa marittima dei Domizi Enobardi (maritime villa of Domizi Enobardi) placed in Giglio Porto and the Torre Campase (Campese Tower) placed in Giglio Campese.

Among the most interesting events taking place in Isola del Giglio, it is particularly interesting the feast celebrated every year at Giglio Porto on August 10th in honour of the patron saint, Saint Lorenzo. The evening is characterized by fireworks, the traditional Palio Marino and a procession.