Back to the province of Grosseto

Manciano

© Reti e Sistemi Toscana.indettaglio.it

Manciano (ZIP code 58014) is 64,5 kilometers far from Grosseto, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.

Manciano has a population of 6.866 inhabitants (Mancianesi) and a surface of 371,14 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 18,50 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 444 metres above the sea level.

The City Hall is located in Piazza Magenta 1, phone ++39 0564 - 62531, fax ++39 0564 - 620496: the E-Mail address is sindaco@comune.manciano.gr.it.

Population: The municipality of Manciano had a popolation of 7.145 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 6.866 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of -3,90% inhabitants.

The inhabitants are distributed in 2.959 families with an average of 2,32 people per family.

The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 8 and 515 metres above sea level.

The altimetric spawn is thus of 507 metres.

Work and workers:There are 134 industrial firms employing 409 people that are the 21,70% of the total of the workers. There are 202 service firms employing 397 people that are the 21,06% of the total of the workers. There are also 209 firms employing 699 people that are the 37,08% of the total of the workers. There are also 57 administrative offices emplying 380 workers that are the 20,16% of the total of the workers.

There is a total of 1.885 workers, that are the 27,45% of the inhabitants of the municipality.

Manciano rises along the valley of the Fiora river.

The local economy is mainly based on the production of cereals, grape and olives. There are also numerous metallurgical and food industries.

The place name comes from the Latin name of person "Mancius", which to the suffix "-anus" was added.

Manciano was quoted for the first time in an official document dating back to 973 but the first residential settlements in the area of Manciano rose around the XIII-th century, when the village was under the jurisdiction of the Aldobrandeschi Counts.

During the Aldobrandeschi's domination the village was fortified by building a ring of walls and a fortress too.

In the next century Manciano was quarrelled for a long between the Orsini Counts of Pitigliano and the city of Orvieto until 1410, when occurred the intervention of the city of Siena that conquered Manciano.

In 1416 the village of Manciano was under the Orsini's jurisdiction, even if it was still under the Siena's influence.

In 1555 after the Florentine conquer of Siena, Manciano was annexed to the Florentine domains.

The period of the Florentine domination, under the government of the Medici's Grand Dukes, coincided with an economic and population decline phase in the history of Manciano, mainly caused by spreading of the marshy lands and the consequent epidemics.

Only in the first half of the XVIII-th century Manciano raised again its chances thanks to the interventions operated by the Lorena's Dukes, who succeeded to the Medici's family. The policy of Pietro Leopoldo of Lorena aimed both to reclaim the whole territory and to restore the urban buildings. This promoted the local economic activities increasing and marked the beginning of a long period of economic prosperity.

In 1766 Manciano became the seat of one of the judicial districts of the Grand Dukedom and in 1783 the village was elevated to the rank of Town Hall of a numerous community also including the towns of Montemerano, Saturnia and Caparbio.

The period of the Lorena's domination was interrupted by the invasion of the territory operated by the French army leaded by Napoleone Bonaparte, who stayed on until 1814.

Since 1815 Manciano was part of the Tuscan Grand Dukedom until 1861, when occurred the Unity of Italy by the action of the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.

Among the most important monuments to see in Manciano we point out here the Chiesa di San Leonardo (Saint Leonard Church), the Chiesa della Santissima Annunziata (Holiest Our Lady Church), the Campanile dell'Orologio (Belfry of the Watch), the Cassero (Fortress), the Rocca della Campigliola (Campigliola Fortress) and the Porta Fiorella (Fiorella Gate).

Among the famous people who were born in Manciano we remind here the two painters Pietro Aldi (1852-1888) and Paride Pascucci (1866-1954).

Among the numerous celebrations taking place in Manciano we point out the traditional "Strawberries Festival" held yearly on May.