|Back to the province of Grosseto
Monterotondo Marittimo (ZIP code 58025) is 81,2 kilometers far from Grosseto, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.
Monterotondo Marittimo has a population of 1.205 inhabitants (Monterotondini) and a surface of 102,12 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 11,80 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 539 metres above the sea level.
The City Hall is located in Via Bardelloni 64, phone ++39 0566 - 91751, fax ++39 0566 - 916390: the E-Mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Population: The municipality of Monterotondo Marittimo had a popolation of 1.391 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 1.205 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of -13,37% inhabitants.
The inhabitants are distributed in 521 families with an average of 2,31 people per family.
The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 46 and 764 metres above sea level.
The altimetric spawn is thus of 718 metres.
Work and workers:There are 34 industrial firms employing 198 people that are the 56,73% of the total of the workers. There are 22 service firms employing 36 people that are the 10,32% of the total of the workers. There are also 34 firms employing 86 people that are the 24,64% of the total of the workers. There are also 22 administrative offices emplying 29 workers that are the 8,31% of the total of the workers.
There is a total of 349 workers, that are the 28,96% of the inhabitants of the municipality.
Monterotondo Marittimo rises in the valley extending along the right bank of the Milia torrent.
The local economy is mainly based on the production of vegetables, fruits, olives, vine grapes and on the activity of numerous mining industries and geothermal stations for the exploitation of the boric acid fumaroles.
The place name comes from the compound of "monte rotondo" (round mount), with reference to the structural characteristics of the mount, and of "marittimo", with reference to the Maremma area, where the town rises.
The village of Monterotondo Marittimo was founded during the XII-th century by the Alberti's Counts, who there established their residence.
The first official document in which the locality is quoted dating back to 1163, when Federico Barbarossa issued an official degree that confirmed the property of the territory of Monterotondo Marittimo to the Alberti's Counts.
At the beginning of the XIII-th century the Count Rainando Alberti put himself and his properties under the protection of the town of Massa Marittima that, in the middle of the same century, bought the village of Monterotondo Marittimo and annexed it to its domains.
During the next century the whole area was conquered by the Republic of Siena that elevated the village of Monterotondo Marittimo to the rank of a Vicarship.
During the domination of Siena, the urban plant of Monterotondo Marittimo was restored as well as its fortifications.
Later started a long quarrel between the two republics of Siena and Florence for the possession of some territories belonging to the village of Monterotondo Marittimo. The quarrel lasted up to the middle of the XVI-th century.
In that occasion the village of Monterotondo Marittimo subdued the siege by the Florentine troops, allied with those ones by the King of Spain, that leaded to the destruction ofo the castle and the devastation of the territory.
After that event the Republic of Siena had to give up to the Florentine power and renounce to all its domains, among them Monterotondo Marittimo, that were annexed to the Medici's Grand Dukedom.
During the Medici's domination the community of Monterotondo Marittimo experienced a period of peace and political stability, during which the village was restored and its economy was increased.
At the beginning of the XVIII-th century the Lorena's Dukes came to the power and governed Monterotondo Marittimo up to the Unity of Italy, occurred on 1861 by the action of the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia, with just an interruption reprecented by the short period of the French occupation.
Among the most important monuments to see in Monterotondo Marittimo we point out here the Santuario della Madonna del Frassine (Our Lady of the Frassine Sanctury), the Parco delle Biancane (Park of the Biancane) and the remains of the Medieval fortifications.
Among famous people who were born in Monterotondo Marittimo we remind the poet Renato Fucini, also known as "Neri Tanfucio" (1843-1921).
Among the several celebrations periodically taking place in Monterotondo Marittimo we point out the traditional "Tortello Festival" (a particular kind of pasta stuffed with ham and Parmesan cheese) held yearly on June and during which it is possible to taste the good typical local foods and wines.