Back to the province of Grosseto

Pitigliano

Copyright © Editori dell'Acero Veduta di Pitigliano

Pitigliano (ZIP code 58017) is 82,4 kilometers far from Grosseto, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.

Pitigliano has a population of 4.136 inhabitants (Pitiglianesi) and a surface of 102,89 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 40,20 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 313 metres above the sea level.

The City Hall is located in Piazza Garibaldi 37, phone ++39 0564 - 616322, fax ++39 0564 - 616738: the E-Mail address is comunpiti@bcc.tin.it.

Population: The municipality of Pitigliano had a popolation of 4.316 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 4.136 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of -4,17% inhabitants.

The inhabitants are distributed in 1.769 families with an average of 2,34 people per family.

The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 119 and 630 metres above sea level.

The altimetric spawn is thus of 511 metres.

Work and workers:There are 104 industrial firms employing 326 people that are the 19,87% of the total of the workers. There are 125 service firms employing 249 people that are the 15,17% of the total of the workers. There are also 115 firms employing 344 people that are the 20,96% of the total of the workers. There are also 39 administrative offices emplying 722 workers that are the 44,00% of the total of the workers.

There is a total of 1.641 workers, that are the 39,68% of the inhabitants of the municipality.

Pitigliano rises on a tufaceous promontory of the north-western slopes of the Volsini mountains, in the very heart of the Maremma.

The local economy is mainly based on the production of vegetables, fruits and olives and also on the vine production of the valuable White Wine of Pitigliano. Remarkable is also the mining activity.

Copyright © Editori dell'Acero Veduta di Pitigliano

The place name comes from the Latin proper name "Petillius" to which was added the suffix "-anus".

The first settlements in the area of Pitigliano go back to the Etruscan Age. Later succeeded first the Romans and then the Longbards.

The real consolidation of the residential settlement occurred on the XII-th century, when the village belonged to the Aldobrandeschi's Counts, who established their residence in the close town of Sovana.

After the collapse of Sovana, occurred on the XIII-th century, Pitigliano increased such an importance that it was elevated to the rank of Capital of Countship by the Orsini's family that had got the power in 1293.

Later Pitigliano was fortified and from then hosted the episcopal seat, previously placed in Sovana.

During the XVI-th century Niccolò IV Orsini made the Medieval fortifications restored charging the design to Antonio da Sanagallo il Giovane. Some bastions and an aqueduct were built too.

After dieing the Orsini's last descendent Pitigliano passed first to Pietro Strozzi and then to Cosimo I of Medici.

Copyright © Editori dell'Acero Acquedotto Pitigliano

The Medici's domination lasted up to the beginning of the XVIII-th century. From then Pitigliano was under the domination of the Lorena's Dukes, who, in 1814 the possession of the Tuscan Grand Dukedom of which Pitigliano was part.

In 1861 Pitigliano was annexed to the Reign of Italy by the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.

Among the most important monuments to see in Pitigliano we point out the Duomo (Cathedral), the Chiesa di San Rocco (Saint Rocco Church), the Necropoli Etrusche (Etruscan Necropolis), the Tempietto Paleocristiano (Little Paleochristian Temple), the Fortezza degli Orsini (Orsini's Fortress), the Parco Orsini (Orsini Park), the Acquedotto Mediceo (Medici's Aqueduct) and the Vie Cave (Mines Roads).

Among the several celebrations periodically taking place in Pitigliano we point out here the traditional "Torciata di San Giuseppe" (Saint Joseph's Candle Processio) held yearly on March 19th in the night. The celebration consists of a procession that passes through the Vie Cave (Mines Roads) up to reach the village, where a big pyre is lighted as symbol of purification, renovation and good luck.