|Back to the province of Grosseto
Scarlino (ZIP code 58020) is 46 kilometers far from Grosseto, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.
Scarlino has a population of 3.120 inhabitants (Scarlinesi) and a surface of 88,39 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 35,30 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 229 metres above the sea level.
The City Hall is located in Via Martiri d`Istia 1, phone ++39 0566 - 38511, fax ++39 0566 - 37401: the E-Mail address is email@example.com.
Population: The municipality of Scarlino had a popolation of 2.782 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 3.120 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of 12,15% inhabitants.
The inhabitants are distributed in 1.361 families with an average of 2,29 people per family.
The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 150 and 559 metres above sea level.
The altimetric spawn is thus of 409 metres.
Work and workers:There are 72 industrial firms employing 981 people that are the 58,08% of the total of the workers. There are 71 service firms employing 201 people that are the 11,90% of the total of the workers. There are also 111 firms employing 408 people that are the 24,16% of the total of the workers. There are also 40 administrative offices emplying 99 workers that are the 5,86% of the total of the workers.
There is a total of 1.689 workers, that are the 54,13% of the inhabitants of the municipality.
Scarlino rises along the northern side of the slope of the Alma mount.
The local economy is mainly based on tourism thanks to the beauty of its beach and of its urban Medieval structure. Several and qualified hotels are available.
The place name probably comes from the German proper name "Skerilo" that was quoted for the first time in an official document dating back to 973, when the village was under the jurisdiction of the Aldobrandeschi's Counts who erected an imposing fortress.
During the Mddle Ages Scarlino was part of the Diocese of the close town of Roselle, that, in 1108, got for the Aldobrandeschi's wills part of the fortress and of the territory of Scarlino.
In the next years different lordships alternated themselves to the control of Scarlino until 1278, when the village enterd the domains of the Republic of Pisa.
The Pisa's influence lasted up to the Appiano's power consolidation. The Appiano's were Lords of Piombino from the XIV-th century to the XV-th century.
During the XVI-th century Scarlino became a domain of the Medici's Grand Dukes and it was part of the Medici's State up to the middle of the XVIII-th century. After the Medici's domination, the Lorena's Dukes came to the power of Scarlino and in 1814, owing to te Treaty of Vienna, the Lorena's Dukes got the control of the Tuscan Grand Dukedom, to which Scarlino belonged.
In 1816 the two communities of Scarlino were joined to the close village of Burano, becoming Scarlino the town hall.
In 1861 Scarlino was annexed to the Reign of Italy by the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.
Among the most interesting monuments to see in Scarlino we point out here the Chiesa di San Donato (Saint Donato Church), the Rocca (Fortress) and the Palazzo Comunale (Town Hall).
Among the several celebrations periodically taking place in Scarlino we remind here the traditional "Corsa delle Carriere" (Horses at full gallop) held yearly on August. The celebration consists of a historical parade in Medieval costumes and a tournment of bowcross throwing.