|Back to the province of Grosseto
Seggiano (ZIP code 58038) is 61,9 kilometers far from Grosseto, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.
Seggiano has a population of 953 inhabitants (Seggianesi) and a surface of 49,64 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 19,20 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 491 metres above the sea level.
The City Hall is located in Via Trento e Trieste 19, phone ++39 0564 - 950925, fax ++39 0564 - 950976: the E-Mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Population: The municipality of Seggiano had a popolation of 1.088 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 953 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of -12,41% inhabitants.
The inhabitants are distributed in 456 families with an average of 2,09 people per family.
The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 171 and 1.728 metres above sea level.
The altimetric spawn is thus of 1.557 metres.
Work and workers:There are 21 industrial firms employing 62 people that are the 26,27% of the total of the workers. There are 18 service firms employing 27 people that are the 11,44% of the total of the workers. There are also 33 firms employing 96 people that are the 40,68% of the total of the workers. There are also 16 administrative offices emplying 51 workers that are the 21,61% of the total of the workers.
There is a total of 236 workers, that are the 24,76% of the inhabitants of the municipality.
Seggiano rises on a buttress placed along the north-western side of the Amiata mount.
The local economy is mainly based on the production of vegetables, fruit and olives and on the activity of numerous food making industries.
The place name comes from the Latin name of person "Seius", to which the suffix "-anus" was added.
The origin of the village goes back to the Etruscan and Roman Ages, as testified by the numerous archaeological finds came to light in the area.
The first historical data about Seggiano go back to a document dating back to 903, when the village was aunder the jurisdiction of the Saint Salvatore Abbey.
At the beginning of the XIII-th century the control of Seggiano passed to the Saint Antimo Abbey, holding this latter the control until 1265, when the Republic of Siena imposed its influence on the village and started a great fortification of the same.
The period of the domination of the city of Siena is marked up by standing out of the aristocratic families who exercised their influence on the village, first the Salimbeni's family and then the Ugurgieri's one.
From the XV-th and XVI-th centuries Seggiano subdued on its territory the consequences of the bloody conflicts between the two republics of Siena and Florence that ended in 1554 with the Florentine victory and the annexing of all domains of Siena to the Florentine countryside. From then Seggiano entered the orbit of the Republic of Florence, being this latter under the Medici's domination.
The Medici's domination marked up the beginning of a political stability that promoted the economic growing of the village. The Medici's Grand Dukes also made the numerous fine palaces built that are still admirable today.
Along the XVIII-th century Seggiano passed by heritance to the Lorena's Dukes, who controlled the village until 1861, when it was annexed to the Reign of Italy by the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.
Among the most important monuments to see in Seggiano we point out here the Santuario della Madonna della Carità (Our Lady of the Charity Sanctuary), the Chiesa di San Rocco (Saint Rocco Church), the Parrocchiale di San Bartolomeo (Saint Bartolomeo Parish) and the Castello di Potentino (Potentino Castle).
Among the numerous celebrations taking place periodically in Seggiano we remind the traditional "Cherries Festival" held yearly on the second Sunday of June and that celebrates the coming of the summer season, the best period to pick the cherries in order to use them to make jams, liquors and a good oil coming from the cherry-stones.