|Back to the province of Grosseto
Semproniano (ZIP code 58055) is 59,2 kilometers far from Grosseto, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.
Semproniano has a population of 1.332 inhabitants (Sempronianesi) and a surface of 81,22 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 16,40 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 601 metres above the sea level.
The City Hall is located in Via Roma 35/39, phone ++39 0564 - 986320, fax ++39 0564 - 986262: the E-Mail address is email@example.com.
Population: The municipality of Semproniano had a popolation of 1.462 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 1.332 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of -8,89% inhabitants.
The inhabitants are distributed in 648 families with an average of 2,06 people per family.
The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 179 and 881 metres above sea level.
The altimetric spawn is thus of 702 metres.
Work and workers:There are 33 industrial firms employing 85 people that are the 23,10% of the total of the workers. There are 42 service firms employing 91 people that are the 24,73% of the total of the workers. There are also 42 firms employing 148 people that are the 40,22% of the total of the workers. There are also 12 administrative offices emplying 44 workers that are the 11,96% of the total of the workers.
There is a total of 368 workers, that are the 27,63% of the inhabitants of the municipality.
Semproniano rises along the area extending between the Albegna and Flora rivers.
The local economy is mainly based on agriculture and especially on a valuable vine prodution and on the breeding of bovines.
The place name probably comes from the proper name of person "Sempronius", to which the suffix "-anus" was added to indicate "belonging".
The village of Semproniano was born during the Middle Ages and, according to some official documents, where it is quoted with the name of "Casale Simprunianum", it was already fortified starting on the X-th century. It was circled by a ring of walls and equipped with a fortress.
At that time the territory was dominated by the Aldobrandeschi's Counts, belonging to the branch of Santa Fiora, who held for a long the control of the village.
At the beginning of the XIV-th century the village of Semproniano was besieged and conquered by the troops of the Republic of Siena. This latter did not get immediately the control of the village because of the intervention of Orsini's family of Pitigliano, who also wanted to conquer it.
After a long siege occurred during the next century, that caused the devastation of the defensive walls, the Republic of Siena annexed the village of Semproniano to its domains.
In 1536 the territory of Semproniano was invaded and devastated by the Spanish troops, that previously besieged the city of Siena.
In the middle of the XVI-th century the army of the Republic of Florence, allied with the Imperial one, besieged the city of Siena obliging this latter to give up. After the collapse of the Republic of Siena, all its domains passed to Florence, under the Medici's Grand Dukedom.
During the Medici's domination the village experienced a political stability that allowed to the community to develop its ecomony, mainly based on rural activities.
In 1737, by dieing the last Medici's descendant, the village of Semproniano passed for heritance to the Lorena's Dukes, who held the control almost uninterruptedly up to the Unity of Italy occurred on 1861 by the action of the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.
Among the most important monuments to see in Semproniano we point out here the Chiesa di Sant'Anna (Saint Anna Church), the Chiesa di Santa Croce (Holy Cross Church), the Pieve di Santa Lucia (Saint Lucy Parish), the Oasi del W.W.F. "Bosco dei Ronconi" ("Ronconi Wood" W.W.F. oasi) and the "Centro Recupero Animali Selvatici della Maremma" (Recovery Center for Wild Animals of the Maremma area).
Among the numerous celebrations periodically taking place in Semproniano we remind the "Treshing Feast" held yearly during the first days of September, during which takes place the traditional treshing activity that marks the end of the summer season. A folkloristic feast accompaines the celebration.