|Back to the province of Grosseto
Sorano (ZIP code 58010) is 91,5 kilometers far from Grosseto, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.
Sorano has a population of 3.915 inhabitants (Soranesi) and a surface of 174,78 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 22,40 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 379 metres above the sea level.
The City Hall is located in Piazza del Municipio 15, phone ++39 0564 - 633023, fax ++39 0564 - 633033: the E-Mail address is email@example.com.
Population: The municipality of Sorano had a popolation of 4.185 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 3.915 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of -6,45% inhabitants.
The inhabitants are distributed in 1.667 families with an average of 2,35 people per family.
The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 158 and 947 metres above sea level.
The altimetric spawn is thus of 789 metres.
Work and workers:There are 114 industrial firms employing 394 people that are the 40,87% of the total of the workers. There are 77 service firms employing 139 people that are the 14,42% of the total of the workers. There are also 96 firms employing 285 people that are the 29,56% of the total of the workers. There are also 38 administrative offices emplying 146 workers that are the 15,15% of the total of the workers.
There is a total of 964 workers, that are the 24,62% of the inhabitants of the municipality.
Sorano rises in a high position along the valley of the Lente river.
The local economy is mainly based on the production of sausages, cheeses, like the cottage cheese and on the artistic craftsmanship in the manufacturing of leather and pottery.
The place name comes from the proper name of person "Soranus" that probably the Romans gave to the town.
The first settlements in the area of Sorano go back to the Roman Age, as testified by several finds dating back to the Roman Age.
In 862 Sorano was under the jurisdiction of the Aldobrandeschi's Counts. In that same year the Emperor Ludovico II issued the constitution of the Aldobrandeschi's Countship.
The village was under the Aldobrandeschi's domination until 1312, thus sharing the Aldobrandeschi's political and economic sorts. This was a period of well-being for Sorano that got a relevant importance in its neighbourings.
At the end of the XIII-th century the village of Sorano passed to the Orsini's family, a Roman noble family who belonged to the Guelphs' faction (Papacy's supporter). Under the Orsini's jurisdiction Sorano became a stroghold engaged in the struggles against the Republic of Siena.
Sorano subdued the events of the conflicts among some close powerful cities that ended in 1555 owing the collapse of the Republic of Siena.
In 1556 Niccolò Orsini obtained the official property and control of Sorano, whose administration was gave to a Podestà. The village was fortified by building an imposing ring of walls and a fortress too.
In 1604 Sorano passed to the Medici's Grand Dukes by dieing Alessandro di Bertolo and because of the continuous conflicts inside the Orsini's family. The Medici's domination lasted up to 1737, when the Lorena's Dukes came to the power of the Tuscany.
The Lorena's Dukes implemented a policy aiming to reclaim the territory of Sorano that was partially marshy. After the reclamation of the marshy lands, Sorano experienced a relevant economic and population increase. During this period the first factory for the producing of wax was founded in Maremma.
The Lorena's domination was interrupted by the invasion of the French troops leaded by Napoleone Bonaparte, who occupied and stayed in the territory until 1814.
In 1861 Sorano was annexed to the Reign of Italy by the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.
Among the most important monuments to see in Sorano we point out here the Collegiata di San Nicola (Saint Nicholas Collegiate Church), the Rocca degli Orsini (Orsini's Fortress), the Sasso Leopoldino (Leopoldino Rock) and the remains of the Castelvecchio, Castellaccio and Rocchetta Fortress.
Among the several celebrations periodically taking place in Sorano we remind here the traditional "Ham Festival" held yearly on the first half of August. During the celebration a show of typical food products takes place.