Back to the province of Livorno

Bibbona

Photo © Bibbonaturismo.it
Bibbona

Bibbona (ZIP code 57020) is 64,2 kilometers far from Livorno, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.

Bibbona has a population of 3.017 inhabitants (Bibbonesi) and a surface of 65,59 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 46,00 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 80 metres above the sea level.

The City Hall is located in Piazza C. Colombo 1, phone ++39 0586 - 672111, fax ++39 0586 - 670363: the E-Mail address is comune.bibbona@tiscalinet.it.

Population: The municipality of Bibbona had a popolation of 2.793 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 3.017 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of 8,02% inhabitants.

The inhabitants are distributed in 1.168 families with an average of 2,58 people per family.

The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 70 and 575 metres above sea level.

The altimetric spawn is thus of 505 metres.

Photo © Bibbonaturismo.it
Pieve Sant`Ilario

Work and workers:There are 67 industrial firms employing 216 people that are the 19,58% of the total of the workers. There are 101 service firms employing 188 people that are the 17,04% of the total of the workers. There are also 141 firms employing 551 people that are the 49,95% of the total of the workers. There are also 34 administrative offices emplying 148 workers that are the 13,42% of the total of the workers.

There is a total of 1.103 workers, that are the 36,56% of the inhabitants of the municipality.

Bibbona rises along the Tyrrhenian coast that extends along the Valley of Cecina including both hilly and valley areas.

The economy of Bibbona is mainly based on tourism, thanks also to the accommodation facilities recently built. Famous is the vine and olive production.

The first settlements of Bibbona developed around a Medieval castle that was under the domination of the Saint Mary in Vico Masio Abbey and later the town was added to the domains of the Cathedral of Lucca.

In XII the town entered the domains of the Counts of Gherardesca and became a Vicarship.

During the thirteenth century Bibbona was the Chief Town of the community of the Valley of Cecina and it obtained a great autonomy.

In 1345 the town tried to rebel against Pisan noblemen who held the power but in 1371 it was besieged by the mercenary John Hakwood’s troops who put down the Bibbona’s revolt. Therefore the Pisans could continued dominating until 1406.

Photo © Bibbonaturismo.it
Forte di Marina di Bibbona

In 1406 Bibbona entered the Florentine Grand Dukedom and shared with it its history as long as Lorena family came to power.

In the second half of eighteenth century Pietro Leopoldo of Lorena started a a large amount of works reaching at the reclamation of the lands in Bibbona in order to drain all marshes and to make the land healthy. Pietro Leopoldo’s interventions gave impulse to economic and population increasing of the town where was formed a community taking up the agricultural cultivations.

Lorena’s domination lasted until the first years of nineteenth century and in 1801 Bibbona entered the French domination by Napoleone Bonaparte.

In 1815 Bibbona passed again to the Florentine Grand Dukedom but in 1861 it was added to the Reign of Italy by the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.

Among the most interesting monuments to see in Bibbona we point out here the Chiesa di Santa Maria della Pietà (Saint Mary of the Pity Church), the Pieve di Sant’Ilario (Saint Ilario Church) and the Palazzo Gardini (Gardini Palace).