|Back to the province of Livorno
Rosignano Marittimo (ZIP code 57016) is 52,6 kilometers far from Livorno, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.
Rosignano Marittimo has a population of 30.558 inhabitants (Rosignanesi) and a surface of 120,26 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 254,10 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 147 metres above the sea level.
The City Hall is located in Via dei Lavoratori 21, phone ++39 0586 - 724111, fax ++39 0586 - 724262: the E-Mail address is email@example.com.
Population: The municipality of Rosignano Marittimo had a popolation of 30.021 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 30.558 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of 1,79% inhabitants.
The inhabitants are distributed in 13.421 families with an average of 2,28 people per family.
The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 109 and 378 metres above sea level.
The altimetric spawn is thus of 269 metres.
Work and workers:There are 175 industrial firms employing 2.166 people that are the 24,48% of the total of the workers. There are 727 service firms employing 1.644 people that are the 18,58% of the total of the workers. There are also 961 firms employing 3.932 people that are the 44,43% of the total of the workers. There are also 154 administrative offices emplying 1.107 workers that are the 12,51% of the total of the workers.
There is a total of 8.849 workers, that are the 28,96% of the inhabitants of the municipality.
Rosignano Marittimo in a high position in the lower valley of the Fine torrent.
The local economy is mainly based on the agriculture and on the activities of numerous chemical, mechanical and plaster materials making industries. Its bathing resort of Castiglioncello is a very famous one for the quality of its sea and of its sandy beaches.
The place name comes from the proper Latin person names "Rasinius" or "Rusinius", to which the suffix "-anus" was added. In 1862 Rosignano took the specification "Marittimo" with reference to the "Maremma area".
The first settlements in the area of Rosignano Marittimo go back to the Roman Age, when it was under the jurisdiction of the Roman Rasinia's family.
After the collapse of the Roman Empire the territory was populated by the Longbards, as testified by some historical documents dating back to 762 A. C..
The real consolidation of the village of Rosignano Marittimo occurred around the X-th century, when it belonged firt to the Tuscan Marquisate and then to the Republic of Pisa.
The Pisans started a great work for the fortification of the village that, being placed in a strategic position, needed to defend itself from recurrent hostile attacks.
Along the XIII-th and XIV-th centuries started the progressive decadence of the Republic of Pisa that consequently also involved the economy of Rosignano Marittimo.
The village of Rosignano Marittimo subdued the consequences of the acute rivalries existing between the two powerful republics of Pisa and Florence that culminated, in the middle of the XV-th century, in a struggle ended with the collapse of the Republic of Pisa.
From then Rosignano Marittimo entered the possessions of the Republic of Florence that, under the Medici's Grand Dukes, started an important restoration of the village and its fortifications, also building two big towers.
The Medici's Grand Dukes also built elegant palace that are visible still today.
At the end of the XVIII-th century the Lorena's Dukes came to the power and started the first reclamation of the territory, thus promoting the economic and urban development.
The Lorena's domination was interrupted by the invasion of the French army leaded by Napoleone Bonaparte, whose occupation lasted until 1814, when Rosignano Marittimo was annexed to the Tuscan Grand Dukedom.
In 1861 Rosignano Marittimo was annexed to the Reign of Italy by the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.
Among the most important monuments to see in Rosignano Marittimo we point out here the Chiesa dei Santi Giovanni e Ilario (Saints John and Ilario Church), the Torre del Faro di Vara (Lighthouse of Vara), the Fattoria Arcivescovile (Archbishopric Farm), the Palazzo Vestrini (Vestrini's Palace), the Palazzo Marini (Marini's Palace) and the Palazzo Bombardieri (Bombardieri's Palace) that is the seat of the "Civic Archaeological Museum".
Among the numerous celebrations periodically taking place in Rosignano Marittimo we remind here the "Vine Course" held yearly from September 11th to September 18th and that consists of a sailing race and an exhibit of typical foods and local wines.