|Back to the province of Lucca
Bagni di Lucca
Bagni di Lucca (ZIP code 55021) is 28,6 kilometers far from Lucca, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.
Bagni di Lucca has a population of 6.551 inhabitants (Bagnilucchesi o Bagnaioli) and a surface of 164,6 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 39,80 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 150 metres above the sea level.
The City Hall is located in Via Umberto I 103, phone ++39 0583 - 809911, fax ++39 0583 - 809937: the E-Mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Population: The municipality of Bagni di Lucca had a popolation of 7.336 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 6.551 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of -10,70% inhabitants.
The inhabitants are distributed in 2.845 families with an average of 2,30 people per family.
The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 100 and 1.940 metres above sea level.
The altimetric spawn is thus of 1.840 metres.
Work and workers:There are 166 industrial firms employing 976 people that are the 44,44% of the total of the workers. There are 151 service firms employing 286 people that are the 13,02% of the total of the workers. There are also 218 firms employing 680 people that are the 30,97% of the total of the workers. There are also 34 administrative offices emplying 254 workers that are the 11,57% of the total of the workers.
There is a total of 2.196 workers, that are the 33,52% of the inhabitants of the municipality.
Bagni di Lucca rises along the banks of the Lima river.
The local economy is mainly based on tourism, thanks both to the thermal springs, that are well known for the beneficial propertis of its waters, and to the presence of numerous and qualified hotels. Remarkable is also the industrial field with numerous mechanical industries and factories producing paper and building materials.
Since 1862 Bagni di Lucca was known as "Bagno a Corsena", whereas later it took its actual name coming from the Latin word "Balneum" with the meaning of "bath" and with reference to the thermal baths placed in the locality.
Bagni di Lucca was known for its thermal springs since the Etruscan and Roman Ages.
The locality was quoted for the first time in an official document dating back to 983, with reference to a donation of the territory of Bagni di Lucca to Fraolmo of Corvaresi by the Bishop Teudogrimo.
Between the X-th and XI-th centuries the village of Bagni di Lucca became a feudal property and it belonged first to the Suffredinghi's family, then to the Porcareschi's one and later to the Lupari's one.
Since the XII-th century the city of Lucca occupied the territory of Bagni di Lucca. In 1308 Lucca unified the community of Bagni di Lucca to those ones of the close villages and thus formed a Vicarship named "Vicarship of the Lima valley.
During the XIV-th century Lucca, taking in account the economic profits coming from the thermal springs of Bagni di Lucca, restored the town and transfored it in a very relaxing and enjoyable oasis that was attended also by numerous famous foreign people.
Bagni di Lucca and its thermal baths reached its maximum splendour in the XIX-th century, especially in the time of the French occupation.
Bagni di Lucca became the summer residence of the Napoleone's court and of his sister, Elisa Baciocchi. At this time a Casino was built and it offered to the society life gambling rooms and also a large hall where the dancing nights took place.
Due to the Treaty of Vienna in 1814 Bagni di Lucca was assigned to the Tuscan Grand Dukedom, under the domain of the Grand Duke Leopoldo II of Lorena.
During the Lorena's domination started a period of decline for the thermal activity and the Casino, because the Grand Duke used to lead a secluded life. In 1853 the Casino was closed and thus also ended the attending of Bagni di Lucca.
Nevertheless the economy increased in different ways: the inhabitants developed an artistic craftsmanship carrying out the manufature of paperboard, chalck and plastic.
In 1861 Bagni di Lucca was annexed to the Reign of Italy by the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.
Among the most interesting monuments to see in Bagni di Lucca we point out here the Casino, the Villa Fiori (Fiori Villa), the Circolo dei Forestieri (Foreigners' Club), the Teatro Accademico (Academic Theatre), the Villa Ada (Ada Villa), the Palazzo della Lena (Town Hall), the Villa Buonvisi (Buonvisi Villa) and the Terme (Thermal Baths).
Among the numerous celebrations periodically taking place in Bagni di Lucca we remind here the traditional "Medieval Feast" yearly held on the last Saturday of June, in the close district of Casoli. During the celebration it is possible to taste typical courses and enjoy the show of acrobats, minstreles and jugglers walking about the streets.