Back to the province of Lucca


Copyright © Camporgiano

Camporgiano (ZIP code 55031) is 59,8 kilometers far from Lucca, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.

Camporgiano has a population of 2.393 inhabitants (Camporgiani) and a surface of 27,1 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 88,30 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 475 metres above the sea level.

The City Hall is located in Piazza Roma 1, phone ++39 0583 - 618888, fax ++39 0583 - 618433: the E-Mail address is

Population: The municipality of Camporgiano had a popolation of 2.463 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 2.393 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of -2,84% inhabitants.

The inhabitants are distributed in 914 families with an average of 2,62 people per family.

The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 310 and 1.267 metres above sea level.

The altimetric spawn is thus of 957 metres.

Work and workers:There are 43 industrial firms employing 116 people that are the 31,18% of the total of the workers. There are 32 service firms employing 59 people that are the 15,86% of the total of the workers. There are also 43 firms employing 126 people that are the 33,87% of the total of the workers. There are also 23 administrative offices emplying 71 workers that are the 19,09% of the total of the workers.

There is a total of 372 workers, that are the 15,55% of the inhabitants of the municipality.

Camporgiano rises in the Garfagnana area, along the right bank of the Serchio river.

The local economy is mainly based on the breeding of swines and on the mining activity in the numerous rock caves in the territory.

The place name comes from the compound of the word "campo" (field), coming this latter from the Latin "campus" that means "plain, field", and of "Rogiana" that is the name of a close locality, or of "hordem", with the meaning of "barley".

The area of Camporgiano was populated since ancient times but the first residential settlements appeared during the Roman Age, as testified by the numerous archaeological finds came to light and dating back to that time. At that time Camporgiano was a "castrum" (fortified settlement) and experienced a great expansion during the next centuries.

After the collapse of the Roman Empire, and due to the Barbaric invasions, the community of Camporgiano abandoned the territory, being this latter repopulated during the Middle Ages, by the direct influence of the city of Lucca.

During the period characterized by the conflicts existing between the two opposite political factions of the Guelps (Papacy's supporters) and the Ghibellines (Empire's supporters), the village of Camporgiano sided with the Guelph faction, engaging a strong battle against the Ghibellines of the Garfagnana area.

During the XIII-th century, when the ghibelline Castruccio Castracani came to the power of Lucca, under whose influence was Camporgiano, this latter had to change its political faction.

Only after the Castruccio Castracani's death, occurred on 1360, Camporgiano could side again for the Guelphs.

During the same period in the Garfagnana area the Malaspina's Counts, who belonged to the Guelphs faction, started a war that lasted along the next century, ending with the Lucca's surrender of its own properties. From then the robbery diffused and the area was governed by numerous and different local lordships.

The situation improved thanks to the intervention of the Estensi's family from Ferrara, to which all the villages previously asked for help.

The Estensi annexed to their Dukedom a part of the commons of the Garfagnana are, thus starting a phase of political stability and economic growing, being this latter based on the river trading.

During the Estensi's domination the village of Camporgiano became seat of a Vicarship that joined different villages under its jurisdiction. The Vicarship was governed also by the famous poet Ludovico Ariosto (1474-1533).

The period of the Estensi's domination lasted almost uninterruptedly up to the Unity of Italy, occurred on 1861 by the action of the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.

Among the most important monuments to see in Camporgiano we point out here the Chiesa della Madonna (Our Lady's Church), the Chiesa di San Giacomo (Saint James Church) and the Rocca degli Estensi (Estensi's Fortress).

Among the numerous celebrations periodically taking place in Camporgiano we remind the traditional "Tree Bonfire" held yearly during the night preceding the December 24th, consisting of making a bonfire of green trees while the bell of the Saint Giacomo Church rings.