|Back to the province of Lucca
Capannori (ZIP code 55012) is 6,1 kilometers far from Lucca, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.
Capannori has a population of 40.699 inhabitants (Capannoresi) and a surface of 156,59 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 259,91 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 15 metres above the sea level.
The City Hall is located in Piazza Aldo Moro 1, phone ++39 0583 - 4281, fax ++39 0583 - 428399: the E-Mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Population: The municipality of Capannori had a popolation of 43.874 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 40.699 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of -7,24% inhabitants.
The inhabitants are distributed in 16.130 families with an average of 2,52 people per family.
The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 5 and 976 metres above sea level.
The altimetric spawn is thus of 971 metres.
Work and workers:There are 1.533 industrial firms employing 6.859 people that are the 40,41% of the total of the workers. There are 1.006 service firms employing 3.234 people that are the 19,05% of the total of the workers. There are also 859 firms employing 5.499 people that are the 32,40% of the total of the workers. There are also 132 administrative offices emplying 1.380 workers that are the 8,13% of the total of the workers.
There is a total of 16.972 workers, that are the 41,70% of the inhabitants of the municipality.
Capannori rises along the plain of Lucca.
The local economy is mainly based on the production of cereals, vegetables, vine grape, olive oil, potatoes and on the activity of numerous mechanical, making food, textile and for the manufacturing of wood industries.
The place name probably comes from the Late Latin word "capanna", with the meaning of "little house".
It is supposed that the territory of Capannori was already populated during the Longards' coming to Italy. The historical data testifying the existence of the village started on 745, when a monk went to Capannori and built a chapel entitled to Saint Quirico. The local community gathered around the Saint Quirico Chapel and there started to build their houses.
Since the beginning the village of Capannori was under the hegemony of the city of Lucca, under whose domination developed along the next centuries becoming a flourishing rural place.
Between the XIII-th and XIV-th century the city of Lucca started an important fortification of the village of Capannori in order to face the sieges by the army of the Republic of Pisa, with which existed a power war.
In 1313 the territory of Capannori was invaded by the Pisan army leaded by the commander Uguccione della Faggiola that caused considerable damages and devastations.
Some years later the village was liberated from the tyranny thanks to the intervention of Castruccio Castracani, who was thus elected Duke of Lucca, Pisa, Pistoia, Luni and Volterra.
Due to reach the political stability, the community could take up the agricultural activities, being this latter the only maintenance fonts of the village that increased so much to become one of the main rural village of the region.
In 1673 Capannori became the seat of the so called "Commisariat of the Six Miles", unitying this latter the villages of Capannori, Massarosa, Pescaglia and Borgo a Mozzano.
Due to the invasion of the territory operated by the French troops leaded by Napoleone Bonaparte, the seat of the "Commisariat of the Six Miles" was moved to Lucca.
After the French occupation the city of Lucca and all its domains, among them there was also Capannori, entered the Tuscan Grand Dukedom staying under Leopoldo II of Lorena up to the Unity of Italy occurred on 1861 by the action of the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.
Among the most important monuments to see in Capannori we point out here the Parrocchiale dei Santi Quirico e Giulitta (Saints Quirico and Giulitta Parish), the Villa Cenami Mansi (Cenami Mansi Villa), the Villa Reale di Marlia (Marlia's Royal Villa), the Villa Santini-Torrigiani (Santini-Torrigiani Villa) and the "Museo Contadino della Piana di Lucca" (Agricultural Museum of the Plain of Lucca).
Among the numerous celebrations periodically taking place in Capannori we remind the fair called "Capannori in Fair" held yearly on September, where it is possible to taste some good typical local foods.