|Back to the province of Lucca
Castiglione di Garfagnana
Castiglione di Garfagnana (ZIP code 55033) is 55,2 kilometers far from Lucca, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.
Castiglione di Garfagnana has a population of 1.877 inhabitants (Castiglionesi) and a surface of 48,63 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 38,60 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 545 metres above the sea level.
The City Hall is located in Piazza V. Emanuele II 1, phone ++39 0583 - 69911, fax ++39 0583 - 699169: the E-Mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Population: The municipality of Castiglione di Garfagnana had a popolation of 2.016 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 1.877 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of -6,89% inhabitants.
The inhabitants are distributed in 715 families with an average of 2,63 people per family.
The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 315 and 1.818 metres above sea level.
The altimetric spawn is thus of 1.503 metres.
Work and workers:There are 44 industrial firms employing 152 people that are the 30,16% of the total of the workers. There are 24 service firms employing 41 people that are the 8,13% of the total of the workers. There are also 36 firms employing 139 people that are the 27,58% of the total of the workers. There are also 21 administrative offices emplying 172 workers that are the 34,13% of the total of the workers.
There is a total of 504 workers, that are the 26,85% of the inhabitants of the municipality.
Castiglione di Garfagnana rises along the valley of the Serchio river.
The local economy is mainly based on the produciton of grapes, fordees, on the cattle breeding and on tourism, thanks both to the beauty of the landscapes and of the monuments and to the presence of numerous and qualified fine hotels.
The place name comes from the compound of "castiglione", coming this latter from the Latin "castellum" with the meaning of "fortified place", and of "garfagnana", coming from the Latin proper name of person "Carfanius", to which the suffix "-ana" was later added to indicate "ownership".
The village of Castiglione di Garfagnana was founded during the Roman Age as a "castrum", a fortified place for the control of the valley of the Serchio river.
The real consolidation of the village occurred after the collapse of the Roman Empire. It was first under the Longbards' domination and then under the Franks' one.
At the beginning of the XI-th century the village of Castiglione di Garfagnana was already fortified. At that time it was under the jurisdiction of the Empire that operated an additional fortification by building a new imposing fortress.
At the end of the same century the powerful city of Lucca imposed its supremacy on the area and after a long siege conquered the village of Castiglione di Garfagnana. Lucca repaired the damages caused by its own army and restored the fortifications of the town.
Since the beginning the inhabitants of Castiglione di Garfagnana opposed to the power of Lucca and organized in 1227 a popular rebellion against Lucca, the emperor Federico II and Pope Gregorio IX, both of this latter intervened to put down the rebellion.
When the peace was established, Lucca had to repair all the damages caused by the rebellion. At that time the village was subdued to the jurisdiction of the Malaspina's feudal family that in 1345 gave the territory to the Republic of Pisa.
This latter held the control up to the invasion of the territory operated at the end of the XIV-th century by the emperor Carlo V of Boemia.
Along the next centuries the village of Castiglione di Garfagnana subdued other considerable devastations operated by the different lords who governed the close town up to the XVII-th century, when it was gave again to the city of Lucca for the will of the King of Spain.
Entered the orbit of Lucca, Castiglione di Garfagnana shared its historical chances with this latter up to its annexing to the Reign of Italy occurred on 1861 by the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.
Among the most important monuments to see in Castiglione di Garfagnana we point out here the Chiesa di San Michele (Saint Michael Church), the Chiesa di San Pietro (Saint Peter Church) and the Rocca (Fortress).
Among the numerous celebrations periodically taking place in Castiglione di Garfagnana we remind the "Procession of the Big Crosses" held yearly on Holy Easter's Thursday and during which a religious procession takes place to evoke the event of the Christ's crucifixion.