Back to the province of Lucca

Coreglia Antelminelli

© Reti e Sistemi Toscana.indettaglio.it

Coreglia Antelminelli (ZIP code 55025) is 36,8 kilometers far from Lucca, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.

Coreglia Antelminelli has a population of 4.805 inhabitants (Coreglini) and a surface of 52,8 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 91,00 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 595 metres above the sea level.

The City Hall is located in Piazza Antelminelli 8, phone ++39 0583 - 78152, fax ++39 0583 - 78419: the E-Mail address is coregliaant-segreteria@lunet.it.

Population: The municipality of Coreglia Antelminelli had a popolation of 4.866 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 4.805 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of -1,25% inhabitants.

The inhabitants are distributed in 1.883 families with an average of 2,55 people per family.

The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 117 and 1.964 metres above sea level.

The altimetric spawn is thus of 1.847 metres.

Work and workers:There are 149 industrial firms employing 861 people that are the 60,46% of the total of the workers. There are 93 service firms employing 184 people that are the 12,92% of the total of the workers. There are also 95 firms employing 246 people that are the 17,28% of the total of the workers. There are also 34 administrative offices emplying 133 workers that are the 9,34% of the total of the workers.

There is a total of 1.424 workers, that are the 29,64% of the inhabitants of the municipality.

Coreglia Antelminelli rises on the territory of the Garfagnana area.

The local economy is mainly based on the production of cereals, chestnuts, wine grapes, on the aviculture and on the activity of numerous industries fro the manufacturing of plastic materials and for the production of building materials. The artisan activity for the production of statues for cribs is remarkable too.

The place name comes from the compound of the Latin proper name of person "Corelius" and of the specification "Antelminelli" added in 1862 with reference to Francesco Castracani of Antelminelli, who was a vicar of the village, reaching the title of count.

The birth of the village of Coreglia Antelminelli occurred during the Early Middle Ages, when a castle was founded, whose around the community gathered and built its houses, developing a first kind of rural economy.

During the X-th century the castle of Coreglia Antelminelli was bought by the Rolandinghi family that held the control up to the next century.

At the beginning of the XI-th century the territory was invaded by the troops of the city of Lucca that conquered quickly the village, being consequently this latter under the domination of Lucca.

The Republic of Lucca fortified the village in order to defend itself and its domains from the conflict broke out later between the two political factions of the Guelphs (Papacy's supportes) and the Ghibellines (Empire's supporters): the village became a fortified outpost of the power of the Republic of Lucca, belonging this latter to the ghibelline faction.

Nevertheless the inhabitants of Coreglia Antelminelli sided for the Guelphs so that the governor from Lucca Castruccio Castracani had to besiege the fortress in order to put down all the popular rebellions.

After that event the village of Coreglia Antelminelli was devote to the power of Lucca and under the guide of the Castracani family it enjoyed some economic privileges that allowed it to increase such an importance so to become in 1562 Commissioner seat.

Later the village was also elevated to the rank of autonomous common, equipped with its own statutes.

During the domination of Lucca the village was enriched with monuments and religious buildings, reaching a great importance also due to the artisan activities for the plaster manufacturing, whose activity lasted even up to modern times.

In 1861 Coreglia Antelminelli was annexed to the Reign of Italy by the Kking Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.

Among the most important monuments to see in Coreglia Antelminelli we point out here the Chiesa di San Marino (Saint Martin Church), the Chiesa di San Michele, the remains of the ancient fortress and the Palazzo Vanni (Vanni Palace), seat of the "Civic Museum of the plaster-made Figurines and of the Emigration".

Among famous people who were born in Coreglia Antelminelli we remind here the botanist Benedetto Puccinelli (1808-1850).

Among the numerous celebrations periodically taking place in Coreglia Antelminelli we point out the "Our Lady of the Rosary's Feast" held yearly on October 7th in the close locality of Ghivizzano and where it is possible to admire an exhibit of fine local crafts and foods.