|Back to the province of Lucca
Fosciandora (ZIP code 55020) is 48 kilometers far from Lucca, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.
Fosciandora has a population of 670 inhabitants (Fosciandorini) and a surface of 19,82 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 33,80 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 390 metres above the sea level.
The City Hall is located in Via Roma 6, phone ++39 0583 - 662040, fax ++39 0583 - 662326: the E-Mail address is email@example.com.
Population: The municipality of Fosciandora had a popolation of 692 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 670 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of -3,18% inhabitants.
The inhabitants are distributed in 263 families with an average of 2,55 people per family.
The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 191 and 1.681 metres above sea level.
The altimetric spawn is thus of 1.490 metres.
Work and workers:There are 8 industrial firms employing 23 people that are the 35,38% of the total of the workers. There are 5 service firms employing 9 people that are the 13,85% of the total of the workers. There are also 6 firms employing 17 people that are the 26,15% of the total of the workers. There are also 6 administrative offices emplying 16 workers that are the 24,62% of the total of the workers.
There is a total of 65 workers, that are the 9,70% of the inhabitants of the municipality.
Fosciandora rises on a hill placed along the left bank of the Serchio river.
The local economy is mainly based on agriculture and cattle breeding.
The place name probably comes from the Latin name of the "Fuscianus" family, coming this latter from the proper name of person "Fuscius".
The birth of the village of Fosciandora and its consolidation occurred between the X-th and XI-th century under the direct influence of the city of Lucca.
Due to its geographical position along the boundary between the Garfagnana area and the plain of Lucca, the village was quarrelled for a long among the cities of Massa, Pisa, Florence, Ferrara, Modena and Lucca. This latter held for a long the control of Fosciandora.
Starting from the XIV-th century the Republic of Florence and the Estensi'family from Ferrara imposed their jurisdiction on the territory that, in the middle of the same century, entered the domains of Florence.
The territory was first divided into several parts and then gave to the Estensi'family, who already governed the Dukedom of Modena. They added the village to the so called Vicarship of the New Lands.
At the beginning of the XVI-th century the village subdued a siege by the troops of the Dukedom of Urbino and some years later the village passed for a short time to Florence.
During the next centuries Fosciandora was again governed by the Estensi's family, whose domination lasted up to the invasion of the territory operated by the French troops leaded by Napoleone Bonaparte.
After the collapse of the Napoleonic Empire occurred on 1814, Fosciandora came back again to the Estensi'family who in 1846 granted to the village its municipal autonomy. In 1861 Fosciandora was annexed to the Reign of Italy by the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.
Among the most important monuments to see in Fosciandora we point out here the Santuario della Madonna della Stella (Our Lady of the Star Sanctuary) and the Medieval villages of the town.
Among the numerous celebrations periodically taking place in Fosciandora we remind the traditional "Patron's Festival" held yearly on the second last Sunday of Febrary in honour of the Patron Saint Saint Sebastiane.