Back to the province of Lucca

Lucca

Copyright © Editori dell'Acero A view of Lucca

Lucca (ZIP code 55100) is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.

Lucca has a population of 79.783 inhabitants (Lucchesi) and a surface of 185,54 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 430,00 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 19 metres above the sea level.

The City Hall is located in Via S. Giustina 6, phone ++39 0583 - 4422, fax ++39 0583 - 442883: the E-Mail address is urp@comune.lucca.it.

Population: The municipality of Lucca had a popolation of 87.100 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 79.783 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of -8,40% inhabitants.

The inhabitants are distributed in 32.467 families with an average of 2,46 people per family.

The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 1 and 950 metres above sea level.

The altimetric spawn is thus of 949 metres.

Work and workers:There are 1.582 industrial firms employing 7.982 people that are the 24,51% of the total of the workers. There are 2.491 service firms employing 6.163 people that are the 18,93% of the total of the workers. There are also 2.974 firms employing 10.424 people that are the 32,01% of the total of the workers. There are also 271 administrative offices emplying 7.994 workers that are the 24,55% of the total of the workers.

There is a total of 32.563 workers, that are the 40,81% of the inhabitants of the municipality.

Copyright © Editori dell'Acero Piazza San Frediano

Lucca rises on the left valley of the lower part of the Serchio river.

Lucca is one of the main markets for the products of the surrounding territory. There are also other flourishing activities such as the industrial field, the textile trade, the agriculture that supports vine and olive production and tourism. Considerable is also the paper making industry.

The first settlements in the area of Lucca go back to the Etruscan Age. The plane where the town rose is placed the area of cultural junction among the Celtic, Ligurian an Etruscan civilizations.

The place name come from the Latin toponym "Lucam" that was influenced by the Celtic and Ligurian languages and it became "luk" that literally means "marshland".

In 180 B.C. Lucca was a Roman colony and then in 89 B.C. it became a Chief Town. The first Roman structure of the city is still clear and it is characterized by the typical plant of the Roman "castrum" with the alignment of the roads along the north-south and east-west directions.

Lucca was an important Longobard Duke Dome during Middle Ages. Later it was chosen by the Franks as capital of the Tuscia (Tuscany). In that period started the trading activity of the merchants of silk who moved towards Europe.

Copyright © Editori dell'Acero A particular of Mother Church

In 1161 Federico Barbarossa granted to Lucca the municipal institutions so that the city was divided in the quarters of San Martino, San Frediano and San Salvatore.

The city was governed by a Consul helped by ten wise men and a Gonfalonier who kept the keys of the city.

In 1308 was born a league called League of the Towers, that had the important role to preserve the towers and belfries of the city. At the same time the common was divided in three social classes: nobility, middle class and ordinary people.

In 1310 started a long period of conflicts between Papacy and Empire, the first part was supported by the political faction of the Guelphs and the second one by the Ghibellines ones. The continuous internal conflicts allowed to the Pisans to enter the city leaded by the tyrant Uguccione della Faggiola who became Lord of Pisa and Lucca.

Only the Gonfalonier Castruccio Castracani got to release Lucca from tyranny around 1317, therefore he was elected Duke of Lucca, Pisa, Pistoia, Luni and Volterra.

Lucca was then contended by several lordships until 1369 when it got to the autonomy as an independent republic leaded by noblemen and middle classes. The independence of Lucca was interrupted only by the lordship of the local family of Giunigi.

In 1799 the arrival of the Frenchs marked the end of autonomy: city was given to Napoleone Bonaparte’s sister, Elisa Baciocchi.

Copyright © Editori dell'Acero A particular of Piazza San Michele

In 1847 Lucca was added to the Grand Dukedome of Tuscany under Leopold II of Lorena. Later Lucca was added to the Reign of Italy by a general vote in 1861.

Among the most important monuments in Lucca we point out here the Duomo (the Cathedral), the Chiesa di San Michele in Foro (Saint Michael in Foro Church), the Chiesa di San Frediano (Saint Frediano Church), the Chiesa di Santa Maria Forisportam (Saint Mary Forisportam Church), the Villa Paolo Giunigi (Paolo Giunigi Villa) and the Palazzo Mansi (Mansi Palace).

Among most famous people born in Lucca we point out here the compositor and musician Giacomo Puccini (1858 - 1924) and Luigi Boccherini (1743-1805), compositor and cello player exponent of the eighteenth-century rococo style.

Among the most interesting celebrations taking place in Lucca we point out a series of cultural, musical and recreation shows taking place during September for Saint Croce's feast where it is possible to watch a procession. The show takes place periodically since one thousand years ago and it wants to remeber the welcome of the Holy Image to Lucca.