|Back to the province of Lucca
Massarosa (ZIP code 55054) is 19,3 kilometers far from Lucca, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.
Massarosa has a population of 20.036 inhabitants (Massarosesi) and a surface of 68,59 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 292,11 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 10 metres above the sea level.
The City Hall is located in Piazza Taddei 1, phone ++39 0584 - 9790, fax ++39 0584 - 938614: the E-Mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Population: The municipality of Massarosa had a popolation of 18.897 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 20.036 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of 6,03% inhabitants.
The inhabitants are distributed in 7.306 families with an average of 2,74 people per family.
The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 3 and 467 metres above sea level.
The altimetric spawn is thus of 464 metres.
Work and workers:There are 656 industrial firms employing 2.019 people that are the 39,90% of the total of the workers. There are 519 service firms employing 1.335 people that are the 26,38% of the total of the workers. There are also 419 firms employing 1.182 people that are the 23,36% of the total of the workers. There are also 124 administrative offices emplying 524 workers that are the 10,36% of the total of the workers.
There is a total of 5.060 workers, that are the 25,25% of the inhabitants of the municipality.
Massarosa rises along the area extending between the Apuans Alps and the Versilian coast.
The local economy is mainly based on the industrial activity of the several shoe making industries.
The place name is quoted for the first time in an official document dating back to 932 with the name of "Massa Grausi". The name of Massarosa comes from a compound name of "Massa" and the German name "Grauso".
The numerous archaeological finds came to light in the area of Massarosa testify that it was populated since the Roman Age.
In 932 the territory of Massarosa was gave to the churchmen of the Saint Martin Cathedral of Lucca by the King Ugo. Later the churchmen also got the possession of a "castrum", whose building date is unknown.
During the Middle Ages the town increased its politic and economic importance, thanks also to the conquering of some close lands. At that same time the community of Massarosa became a free common.
In the XIII-th entury the inhabitants of Massarosa started to claim their autonomy that was recognized them in 1270 by an act assigning civic powers to the churchmen and some minor rights to the common.
In the next century there were numerous conflicts to conquer the territory of Massarosa among different lordships and the city of Lucca, that ended at the end of XIV-th century by the victory of the Republic of Lucca.
In 1799 the coming of the French army marked the end of the autonomy of the Republic of Lucca that was assigned as Principality to Napoleone's sister, Elisa Baciocchi. She also got the possession of Massarosa.
In 1847 Massarosa was annexed to the Tuscan Grand Dukedom, under the domination of Leopoldo of Lorena and in 1861 the town was added to the Reign of Italy by the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.
Among the most important monuments to see in Massarosa we point out here the Chiesa dei Santi Jacopo e Andrea (Saint Jacopo and Andrew Church) and the Villa Buonvisi (Buonvisi Villa).
Among the numerous celebrations periodically taking place in Massarosa we remind here the interesting "Zootechnical Show" yearly held on May. During the show it is possible both to see different kinds of domestic pets, plants, agricultural machines and also to taste typical local foods.