|Back to the province of Lucca
Molazzana (ZIP code 55020) is 41,7 kilometers far from Lucca, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.
Molazzana has a population of 1.187 inhabitants (Molazzanesi) and a surface of 31,65 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 37,50 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 474 metres above the sea level.
The City Hall is located in Via Parco Rimembranza 11, phone ++39 0583 - 760151, fax ++39 0583 - 760330: the E-Mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Population: The municipality of Molazzana had a popolation of 1.257 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 1.187 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of -5,57% inhabitants.
The inhabitants are distributed in 491 families with an average of 2,42 people per family.
The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 173 and 1.859 metres above sea level.
The altimetric spawn is thus of 1.686 metres.
Work and workers:There are 9 industrial firms employing 32 people that are the 15,84% of the total of the workers. There are 14 service firms employing 28 people that are the 13,86% of the total of the workers. There are also 16 firms employing 46 people that are the 22,77% of the total of the workers. There are also 9 administrative offices emplying 96 workers that are the 47,52% of the total of the workers.
There is a total of 202 workers, that are the 17,02% of the inhabitants of the municipality.
Molazzana rises in the valley extending along the right bank of the Serchio river, in the Garfagnana area.
The local economy is mainly based on the production of cereals, vine grapes and of the sheep-farming.
The place name probably comes from the Latin proper name of person "Munatius", to which the suffix "-anus" was added to indicate "belonging".
The locality is quoted for the first time in an official documents dating back to 1105. At that time Molazzana was subdued to the jurisdiction of the Parish of Gallicano, being this latter first under the influence of some lords of Careggine and then of the Porcareschi's family.
At the beginning of the XIV-th century the village of Molazzana passed under the domination of the Republic of Lucca. This latter dominated the territory up to the next century, when the Estensi's family from Ferrara imposed its influence on the village.
In 1430 the village of Molazzana was added to the Dukedom of Modena, under the Estensi's government. Molazzana entered officially the Dukedom of Modena just in 1451, when the emperor Niccolò V made the Estensi's property effective.
During the XVI-th century, under the papacy of Leone X, the property of Molazzana passed to the Republic of Florence that held the control up to the middle of the next century, when, by dieing the Pope, Molazzana came back again to the Dukedom of Modena, still under the Estensi's government.
This latter started the real economic growing of the village that attended to the agricultural and breeding activities.
The Estensi's domination lasted up to the beginning of the XIX-th century, when the territory was invaded by the French troops leaded by Napoleone Bonaparte, that stayed on until 1814.
Since 1815 Molazzana came back again to the Estensi'family that governed uninterruptedly up to the Unity of Italy, occurred on 1861 by the action of the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.
Among the most important monuments to see in Molazzana we point out here the Chiesa dei Santi Lorenzo e Stefano a Cascio (Saints Lorenz and Stephen Church in Cascio), the Chiesa di San Frediano a Sassi (Saint Frediano Church in Sassi) and the Castle.
Among the numerous celebrations periodically taking place in Molazzana we remind the traditional "Throwing of the Wheel" held yearly on August and consisting in throwing a cheese-made wheel trying to cover the maximum distance.